The four species in the genus Cacophis are all venomous, but not dangerous to people.
Snakes of the genus Cacophis inhabit a variety of forest types, from woodland to rainforest.
Behavior & diet
All species of Cacophis have a distinct "crown" pattern on the head, which gives them their common names.
The following four species are recognized as being valid.
- Cacophis churchilli Wells & Wellington, 1985 – northern dwarf crowned snake
- Cacophis harriettae Krefft, 1869 – white-crowned snake
- Cacophis krefftii Günther, 1863 – dwarf crowned snake
- Cacophis squamulosus (A.M.C. Duméril, Bibron & A.H.A. Duméril, 1854) – golden-crowned snake
- ^ "Cacophis ". The Reptile Database. www.reptile-database.org.