Barb Banbury

Still developing

• Profile picture of Barb Banbury who took this action.

Barb Banbury commented on Barb Banbury's newsfeed:

@Cyndy Parr: Thanks Cyndy, I added it! Great idea.

9 months ago

Cyndy Parr commented on "Barb Banbury":

Barb, noticed you don't have a link to Reol in your EOL profile -- might be a good thing to add!

9 months ago

Cyndy Parr commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

Also, please don't forget that API discussions (and others) are happening here: http://eol.org/forums

10 months ago

• Profile picture of Barb Banbury who took this action.

Barb Banbury commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Cyndy Parr: Thanks Cyndy, sounds great!

10 months ago

Cyndy Parr commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Barb Banbury: Hi Barb, we have a paper in preparation, hope to be submitting in the next few days. Will contact you offline.

10 months ago

• Profile picture of Barb Banbury who took this action.

Barb Banbury commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

Is there a citation for the API we can use?

10 months ago

• Profile picture of eangeles92 who took this action.

eangeles92 commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

Thanks for everyone's support, Im currently creating a interactive javascript tree of life using the eol api. I will post the link here once Im done with it. Thank you

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Patrick Leary who took this action.

Patrick Leary commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@eangeles92: Thanks to Yan there is a response to this question with code samples in our new forum http://eol.org/forums/3/topics/38 . It describes how to fetch data from the API as JSON and turning that into a PHP object that can be worked with

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of eangeles92 who took this action.

eangeles92 commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

How can I connect to the eol api? Im really confused on how to start, can I use php?

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Gaurav Vaidya who took this action.

Gaurav Vaidya commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Cyndy Parr: That's exactly what I was looking for, thanks! I've moved my comment there.

Cyndy Parr commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Gaurav Vaidya: Hi Gaurav, this is a great suggestion for an API improvement (or maybe it is already possible, I'm not sure). We are starting to have extensive discussion about the API on the http://eol.org/forums so I recommend that we move the discussion there...to the API improvements thread probably.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Gaurav Vaidya who took this action.

Gaurav Vaidya commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

I can't figure out how to search the comments on here, so apologies if this has been asked before! I've just discovered that the EOL's '/pages' API call will return a list of synonyms for a given name; I just helped somebody use this to figure out the comprehensive list of names they'd want to search a database so that they don't miss out on data recorded against junior synonyms. Are there any plans to return a hierarchy name or id for the synonym so we can find out which hierarchy that synonymy information is coming from?

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Patrick Leary who took this action.

Patrick Leary commented on "Barb Banbury":

@Barb Banbury: Hi Barb - your latest comment made it only to your newsfeed but I luckily found it. You differentiate EOL taxon ID from the page number, but we use those terms interchangeably (though there is a different HierarchyEntryID which we use to indicate taxon definitions from provider - e.g. Animalia according to ITIS). You certainly can use this information when searching, but the question I was putting out there is - is this the best way to get around to doing what you want? You say here you wanted a tarball of EOL text, which was indeed not available a few months ago, but I have a prototype now which you can try out. I will email it to you shortly.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Barb Banbury who took this action.

Barb Banbury commented on Barb Banbury's newsfeed:

Thanks for the replies. It was my understanding that the EOL taxon ID (not the page number) was a unique taxon identifier. Is this not correct? If it is correct, then I don't quite understand why I can't use this information when searching for a taxon. I realize that the page numbers change, ut do the EOL taxon IDs changeas well? As a Rubenstein Fellow, part of my project entails gathering data off all of the EOL pages. When my project began I asked for a tarball of all the EOL subchapters, but this was unavailable. So, I began downloading all of EOL the long way. I would like to have all of the subchapters accounted for, which is why I am asking.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Patrick Leary who took this action.

Patrick Leary commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Barb Banbury: Hi Barb. The highest published page ID (today) is http://eol.org/pages/36680799/overview . I'm curious though how you intend to use this. As Nathan point out IDs are not meant to be used directly, and there are a tremendous number of redirect pages (most of which are never actually published before they are turned into redirects). Nathan suggested an API to return random pages which seems like a reasonable API method. But I'm not sure how reasonable an API to return the highest ID would be since it seems completely arbitrary. Perhaps you have some end goal which might be better approached with a different set of API methods that aren't so dependent on arbitrary page IDs?

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Nathan Wilson who took this action.

Nathan Wilson commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

To be clear, there are expected to be a lot of redirects and there are some missing pages (mostly in the lower numbers). Currently the highest number I could find is 36680949. This means that only 1 in 27 ID numbers are not redirects or missing pages. My understanding is that this is because the data harvesting process creates a page whenever it sees a name that is in anyway different from anything it has seen in the past. There is then a process that figures out whether new names are most likely the same as some existing page. If it is then, it is turned into a redirect. However, the original number is maintained since there may have been an error in that process. In general it is not a great idea to deal directly with the ID numbers. However, there are circumstances where you pretty much have to. It would be helpful to know why you need the largest page number. For example, I needed it at one point since I wanted to create a list of truly random pages so I could test somethings about EOL. It would have served my purpose better if there was an API call to ask for a random set of pages.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Barb Banbury who took this action.

Barb Banbury commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Cyndy Parr: Thanks Cyndi, I will add it to the API suggestion page. I could use the largest page that doesn't redirect, but I could also just use the largest EOL taxon ID (which might save me searching by being able to ignore the page numbers and all the redirections). Either way, I just want to make sure that I have full taxonomic coverage for all the EOL pages.

Cyndy Parr commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

@Barb Banbury: I guess the question is what is the largest page number that doesn't redirect to a valid taxon concept page? Might be a good suggestion to add to the API Improvement thread here: http://eol.org/forums/2 .

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Barb Banbury who took this action.

Barb Banbury commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

Is there any way to determine the largest eol ID number? For example, if I go to http://eol.org/pages/6000000/overview it takes me back to eol id 1086495. There seem to be a lot of duplicates and missing pages.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Jonathan Ray who took this action.

Jonathan Ray commented on "EOL API Discussion Group":

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll look into it further, and hopefully the results will be worth it.