Maria del Rosario Castañeda

Anolis catcher

We just discussed this issue with our developers and came up with the following potential solution: The 'set as exemplar' tool will still show as a pop-up layer when you mouse over a thumbnail in the media collection. However, rather than showing ON the thumbnail, it will be BELOW the thumbnail, temporarily obscuring the rating stars. In order to set an exemplar, you would then have to move your cursor down a bit and click on the layer below the thumbnail. This would prevent accidental exemplar settings when you click anywhere in the thumbnail itself. We'll try to get a mockup of this, so you can see what it would look like. As soon as it's ready, we'll post a link to it here, so you can provide feedback.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Leo Shapiro who took this action.

Leo Shapiro commented on "EOL Curators":

Thanks all! Sounds like an issue lots of people have encountered. We will discuss and see if there is an easy fix.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Tanya Higgins who took this action.

Tanya Higgins commented on "EOL Curators":

@Leo Shapiro: I'll join the chorus - I've done it as well.

about 2 years ago

@Christian D. Jersabek: Yep, that's what I do too, but there's no way of removing the accidental selection from the page history

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Christian D. Jersabek who took this action.

Christian D. Jersabek commented on "EOL Curators":

@Jason Sharp: happened to me also, and it seemed I could only remedy this by selecting another image to serve as an exemplar.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jason Sharp who took this action.

Jason Sharp commented on "EOL Curators":

@Leo Shapiro: I have made the same 'set as exemplar' mistake.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Richard Glor who took this action.

Richard Glor commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: I agree with Michael and have also inadvertently created exemplars when trying to click on a thumbnail.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Leo Shapiro who took this action.

Leo Shapiro commented on "EOL Curators":

Michael, You are not the first person from whom I've heard this exact concern. Well, actually, you're the second. Are there more of you out there?

about 2 years ago

Too easy to hit 'Set as exemplar' accidentally?

Several times I've created an exemplar unintentionally, just by clicking on a thumbnail anywhere in its lower third. Can it be re-set so that one has to click right on the actual target ring?

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Patrick Coin who took this action.

Patrick Coin commented on "EOL Curators":

@Jason Sharp: Thanks, that is very helpful--I had not realized the function of that tab.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jason Sharp who took this action.

Jason Sharp commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: I use the 'worklist' tab on the taxon page to check images faster than going to each seperate image page. I'm not sure if all curators are aware of that tab.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of David Eickhoff who took this action.

David Eickhoff commented on "EOL Curators":

@Leo Shapiro: Yes, I agree with Michael. A bulk "Trust" option would be very helpful & less daunting than one-by-one.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Maria del Rosario Castañeda who took this action.

Maria del Rosario Castañeda commented on "EOL Curators":

@Leo Shapiro: Yes!! It would save a lot of time to be able to trust several images at once!

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Leo Shapiro who took this action.

Leo Shapiro commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: Hi Michael, I know there have been discussions regarding a mechanism for bulk trusting, but it isn't yet scheduled for work. Would others on this list find this helpful?

Bulk trusting of images?

At times, it would be nice to be able to trust a set of several images together in one go, without having to visit each image page individually; doing so would save a lot of time. I mention this as I have just added nearly 40 images of a taxon to that taxon's page on wiki Commons; in 2 or 3 weeks, all 40 will show up here to be reviewed. As I verified the images before adding them to the Commons page, I already know they are all trustable. But it will take ages to trust each one individually.

Is this something that could be made feasible?

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Leo Shapiro who took this action.

Leo Shapiro commented on "EOL Curators":

@Patrick Coin: No, you can't edit an article written by someone else (as you can on Wikipedia), but if you see an error I would encourage you to add a comment pointing it out.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Maria del Rosario Castañeda who took this action.

Maria del Rosario Castañeda commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Jennifer Hammock: Hi Jen, I didn't receive a particularly large amount of emails, just three in the past two weeks!!

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

Anyone overwhelmed by a recent flood of email from EOL (actually, if you weren't, let me know. Something might be wrong.) The curator community isn't often quite so chatty, but that was a good demonstration of the new email defaults, which will now inform you of comments or activity in any EOL community you belong to, for instance this one, Rubenstein Fellows, and the EOL curators community. If you'd like to manage those settings, go into your EOL profile and under "edit my profile" select "notification settings". You can set different kinds of activity to different notification speeds- immediate email, daily digest, weekly digest, etc.

about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Scratchpads Community":

By the way, v1 migration is upon us- those of you with v1 sites that are not seriously customized should be moved over in the next few days.

about 2 years ago • edited: about 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Scratchpads Community":

@John P. Sullivan: Thanks for the datapoint, John! Passing on the interview link to Breen for our social media.