Maria del Rosario Castañeda

Anolis catcher

• Profile picture of Leo Shapiro who took this action.

Leo Shapiro commented on "EOL Curators":

@jeff betz: Just to clarify, images don't have to be Public Domain to be usable on EOL. Most Creative Commons licenses are also acceptable so long as required attribution is included. See info on EOL Flickr page: http://www.flickr.com/groups/encyclopedia_of_life/

over 2 years ago

@jeff betz: Looked at the Mutter Medical Museum flickr account, and they have all their photos as '© All rights reserved', so they're not available for EOL. I'd suspect that they have good reason to keep them fully copyrighted, because of the potentially sensitive personal data that applies to some of the images.

over 2 years ago

@Katja Schulz: Unfortunately, the Euro+Med Plantbase haven't got round to listing Monotropa, so the genus isn't in at all yet. From a quick look around, it appears to be an accepted species in several local / regional databases, so I'd be incined to accept it as a separate species for now.

over 2 years ago

@jeff betz: Anybody, not just curators can suggest potential content partners for EOL. Please do this in the general EOL Discussion group and be sure to provide links.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of jeff betz who took this action.

jeff betz commented on "EOL Curators":

@jeff betz: Also, is there some way or place for curators to suggest photo collections or libraries that could added to EOL en masse rather than just one photo at a time. For instance the Mutter Medical Museum in Philadelphia has an online photo collection of human specimans, anatomical illustrations, etc. They like EOL also have a flickr page. Could they be invited to just add their flickr images to EOL?

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of jeff betz who took this action.

jeff betz commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michael Wunderli: Unfortunately a lot of pictures on the web like science photo library are not in the public domain. If you find photos that are not copyrighted (I have done this with photos from NASA for instance or the US geological survey) then download them and add them to the EOL flickr page. They will they get harvested to EOL. Hope this helps.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of jeff betz who took this action.

jeff betz commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michael Wunderli:

It looks like all the images for Monotropa hypophegea are ending up on the Monotropa hypopitys page, because Tropicos tell us that Monotropa hypophegea Wallr. is a synonym of Monotropa hypopitys L. I'm not sure why the Monotropa hypophegea Wallr. from SBG, Red list target species of switzerland, Rote Liste Zielarten der Schweiz is not merged with Monotropa hypopitys also.

So, question for our botanist curators: Should we treat Monotropa hypophegea Wallr. as a synonym of Monotropa hypopitys L., or should we have a separate taxon page for it?

over 2 years ago • edited: over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Michael Wunderli who took this action.

Michael Wunderli commented on "EOL Curators":

I was checking out this plant page. http://eol.org/pages/29365454/overview There are no pictures for this plant on eol, but when i search the web, it seem's like there are a lot of pictures available, why does eol not use them? how can I change that?

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Katerina Tvardikova who took this action.

Katerina Tvardikova commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

Hi Jennifer, I came from the field after few months and I would like to continue in my work on scratchpads and connect them finaly with EOL. Is there some improvement? Are they alllready accepted as partners, so I could upload my content from them to EOL? Thanks

over 2 years ago

@Gianluca Polgar: Yep! And not just genera, often species too - for example, genetic data has shown that Cervus canadensis is a separate species from Cervus elaphus; if included in it as a subspecies then Cervus elaphus becomes paraphyletic with respect to Cervus nippon. Yet all the Cervus canadensis photos appear on the Cervus elaphus page here, because some of the data providers have not yet updated their databases and do still treat it as a subspecies.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Gianluca Polgar who took this action.

Gianluca Polgar commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: OMG this IS a problem! Can you imagine how many objects being inappropriately associated are now in the pages of each and every genus and suprageneric taxon?? If there is no AUTOMATIC update of all objects' associations from the species level up to all supraspecific taxa (with a "bottom-up" strategy), there is no way to cope with this mess. Taxonomy is inherently unstable: this problem will only get worse and worse, as classifications are updated.... Of course, such process should be probably applied independently to the different classifications adopted by the EOL.

over 2 years ago

@Gianluca Polgar: Not a taxon area I'm familiar with, so had to look it up - the Scartelaos histophorus photos appear under Apocryptes as Apocryptes macrophthalmus is a valid synonym of Scartelaos histophorus (ref). Unfortunately, no way at the moment that it can be set so the Scartelaos pics don't appear under Apocryptes. That sort of taxon delinking is a facility I'd like to be able to do as well, should it become possible in the future.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Gianluca Polgar who took this action.

Gianluca Polgar commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: sorry I can't understand :-) When I open the page of the media of Apocryptes I visualise 33 files, each not depicting an Apocryptes sp.; if I want to disable the inclusion of a given photo of Scartelaos histophorus in this page, I must act on that photo. If I open that photo its headline correctly reports the name S. histophorus... on the right, I only find 2 links and 2 choice-lists (I'm not sure of their technical name): 1) the link reporting the species correctly opens the page of S. histophorus; 2) the link "add new association" allows me to add an association with another species, if I select one database among those that are suggested (Worms, Fishbase, Itis, etc.); 3) the "choice-lists" to mark the photo as trusted/untrusted/unreviewed and visible/not visible. All these commands appear to be useless if I want to mark it as untrusted ONLY in the page of the genus Apocryptes. 2) while on the right of each photo there is a list of its associations (each of them being trusted/untrusted, etc.), there is no trace of the association of a photo with different genera... i.e. there is no association of Scartelaos with the genus Apocryptes. If I mark it as untrusted, it will just appear as untrusted in all pages. 3) if I open the page of the species Apocryptes bato (this genus is monotypic), there are no media uploaded. The consequence is that there are photos and videos associated with the genus Apocryptes, but not with its species. I can understand that this might be useful if one cannot discriminate a photo to the species level, and associates it with a genus... but in this case this association should be visible on the right of that photo. Otherwise, how could curators curate it? Furthermore, wouldn't it be much more straightforward to automatically add all the media added to the species to the page of the genus?

over 2 years ago • edited: over 2 years ago

@Gianluca Polgar: That's because at some point in history, some authors at least have included Scartelaos histophorus in one or other of those other genera. You'll find thousands of similar examples elsewhere on EOL; the thing to do is trust (or untrust) the image in respect of its headline name, not the page on which it appears.

When an image is not the taxon in its headline name, then you can untrust it for that name, and click on 'add new association' (just above-right of the headline name), and enter the correct name there.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Gianluca Polgar who took this action.

Gianluca Polgar commented on "EOL Curators":

In the media of the pages of the genera Apocryptes and Apocryptodon (Gobiidae) I found photos of several species from different genera (even from different families!). When I marked one of these photos, a photo of Scartelaos histophorus, as "untrusted", it appeared as "untrusted" also in the page of S. histophorus... Nonetheless, this photo was indeed of a S. histophorus! I am confused: aren't the photos displayed in the pages of genera picked up from the photos of the congeners included in the genus? More in general: how a photo which must be marked as untrusted for a given taxon can be assigned to another taxon?

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Patrick Coin who took this action.

Patrick Coin commented on "EOL Curators":

@Cyndy Parr: Oh, fine. I set one of the decent photos from EOL as exemplar, so it will look a bit better now.

over 2 years ago

Ah, you have encountered a rare "Photosynth" which is a series of images that ought to be stitched together into a 3D rotating image. You are correct that we should be handling these better. Please ignore for now and we'll try to get a programmer to do something about it.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Patrick Coin who took this action.

Patrick Coin commented on "EOL Curators":

Here is an editorial issue, I feel. The media collection for the Harlequin Beetle, Acrocinus longimanus, is a mess. There are almost 300 images, most of them repetitive detail shots of specimens, and also low resolution images of specimen trays. Unless there is some curatorial/research purpose for these that I do not understand , almost the whole lot needs to be hidden so that the few useful images can be browsed. This would take a curator a very long time to do individually. Is there any way an administrator/programmer can do this in some sort of batch process? To me, the volume of media there really detracts from the species account. (Again, unless there is some documentary purpose for these images that is not obvious to me.)

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Kathy Hill: Thanks for checking, Kathy! I would hold off for now; your annotated list is easier to understand with your comments preserved. It has been sitting in the merge request backlog since April. I'm sorry action hasn't been quicker, but you reported in good faith and I don't want you to have to do the work twice. As long as the homonyms aren't impeding your progress?