Maria del Rosario Castañeda

Anolis catcher

I would appreciate if we have any crab experts that they take a look at this media gallery -- the best photos are all unreviewed and I'm not able to tell if they are all correctly identified: http://eol.org/pages/343925/media

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michael Wunderli: Michael, are the collections you're trying to eject contained within another community managed collection?

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Michael Wunderli who took this action.

Michael Wunderli commented on "EOL Curators":

@Jason Sharp: thanks, it worked, but they still show up as featured collections.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jason Sharp who took this action.

Jason Sharp commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michael Wunderli: On the Managers tab for the collection, under 'Communities that can manage this collection' you should see the community that you are seeking. Select 'Remove'.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Michael Wunderli who took this action.

Michael Wunderli commented on "EOL Curators":

how do I remove collections form communities?

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Katerina Tvardikova who took this action.

Katerina Tvardikova commented on "Scratchpads Community":

@Cyndy Parr: Cyndy, thank you for explanation and search. I will wait, and see what happens once my content gets connected to EOL.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Katerina Tvardikova who took this action.

Katerina Tvardikova commented on "Scratchpads Community":

over 2 years ago • deleted: over 2 years ago

Cyndy Parr commented on "Scratchpads Community":

@Katerina Tvardikova: Google knows about your pages: http://bit.ly/ZPy6XH . I did a search that included your site URL to be sure. It looks like your content shows up on the fourth page of results if you just search for the scientific name. For birds you are competing with lots of very popular sites that have been around a while and automatically have a lot of links to them. When your content flows to EOL that will help raise its profile. The more websites (and more respected websites) who link to your content the better.

over 2 years ago • edited: over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Katerina Tvardikova who took this action.

Katerina Tvardikova commented on "Scratchpads Community":

@Cyndy Parr: E.g. if I search for specific species (Philemon buceroides) I do not find the information form my pages at all. There is many species like this. Even when I search New Guinea Birds or Papua New GUinea Birds (which I guess most people do when thinking to fisn something about the birds in coutry), do I do not find my pages easily. I was interesitng in some tips how to improve it.

Cyndy Parr commented on "Scratchpads Community":

@Katerina Tvardikova: Note that Katerina's Scratchpad is here: http://pngbirds.myspecies.info/ I have found some of the content by searching on Google. Katerina what is an example of a page you don't see listed?

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Katerina Tvardikova who took this action.

Katerina Tvardikova commented on "Scratchpads Community":

I feel really bad about my work being lost in web-space. I would need to force Google and other search engines to search on my pages too. Is there any way to do it? I am sure that my pages are the only ones including information about given species, but nobody is able to find out, as the pages are not listed when I search for the species on Google. Is it a general problem, or only mine?

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of trobertson who took this action.

trobertson commented on "EOL Curators":

Hi all, @Constantine Wing Heng Lau @Cyndy Parr I will contact Discover Life but please see the DL page for that record [1] which states "decimal latitude_longitude from gazetteer ••• 41.1_-85.1". DL are automatically (and too optimistically) using a reverse geocoding to provide coordinates based on textual information on the record. The record published through GBIF [2] does not contain coordinates and the GBIF network content does not appear at first glance to be particularly problematic for that species [3]. I hope this helps explain the content you are seeing. Best wishes, Tim - Systems architect, GBIF [1] http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20l?id=GBIF50315052&btxt=Encyclopedia+of+Life&burl=www.eol.org/pages/311781 [2] http://data.gbif.org/occurrences/50312715 [3] http://data.gbif.org/species/2435451/

over 2 years ago

@Constantine Wing Heng Lau: Please click through to the map object page (http://eol.org/data_objects/21430628) and leave your comment so that the source and other visitors will know there is a problem. You can untrust and hide the map but again, give an explanation so that the source can fix the problem. This can also be a problem with our GBIF maps which currently are not curatable. We are aware and hope to improve this in the future.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Claudia Sotgia who took this action.

Claudia Sotgia commented on "EOL Curators":

@Constantine Wing Heng Lau: After a quick look, if I understand correctly, you're right. The maps should represent the natural range of a species; the presence in a zoo cannot be considered as a population. I am a new curator and I still haven't seen as make changes, but I suggest leavingg only the distribution map. I hope I have been helpful. Also I would like to tell you that I'd like to contact you because my working group is writing a manual of good practices on bees. I am writing on pollination service and on the problems of habitat loss, fragmentation etc. Can you give me some advice? Ciao, Claudia

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Constantine Wing Heng Lau who took this action.

Constantine Wing Heng Lau commented on "EOL Curators":

I just took a random look on the page for Tasmanian Devil (Sarcophilus harrisii), and found an issue. As I understood this species should live on one or more islands next to Australia. However, the one of the 2 maps on its page showed that it appeared in the USA. Turns out, I checked the original source of the data point at USA, and found that it was a collection of the Ft. Wayne Children's Zoo in Indiana, US. (http://www.discoverlife.org/mp/20m?act=make_map&kind=Sarcophilus+harrisii) In this case, the map seems misleading to the public because it was neither showing the natural occurance or all of the zoo records. Any suggestion?

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

Ecological synthesis, anyone? The National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) is pleased to invite applications from early-career researchers for a 3-week intensive workshop in ecological analysis and synthesis, to take place at NCEAS in Santa Barbara CA June 19-July 10, 2013. All travel and living expenses of participants will be covered during the workshop, thanks to generous support from the Packard Foundation. Applications are due March 1. For more information and application instructions, go to: http://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/news/nceas-summer-institute-2013

over 2 years ago

@Arthur Chapman: I'd disagree strongly on the Livistona nitida example; in English, hyphens are not followed by capital letters. So "Carnavon Gorge Cabbage Palm" or "Carnavon Gorge Cabbage-palm", but not "Carnavon Gorge Cabbage-Palm", which looks plain ghastly. This follows standard usage everywhere except among US ornithologists heavily influenced by the ideas of one or two ivory tower scientists who know much about birds, but nothing about English grammar. This idea has been rejected by ornithologists everywhere else; see e.g. the introduction in Vol. 1 of Handbook of the Birds of the World.

over 2 years ago

@Katja Schulz: Excellent, thanks!

over 2 years ago

@Thomas Wesener: Perhaps museum specimen data is particularly problematic in Diplopoda. While other groups also have issues (note the warnings we have posted) outliers are usually easy to spot especially if someone with better maps have been kind enough to share them. We're in the process of updating from GBIF and as they've been working on automated data cleaning maybe things will get better. In any case, we are planning improvements in our maps area over the next year. Sometimes a captive zoo individual has died; it would be nice if we could show these as a different color or not show them at all. While it is time consuming to track down the source of geospatial errors they often persist unless the source knows about and can fix them. If you leave a comment on the overview tab for that EOL page explaining the problem, others will know what can't be trusted in the meantime.

over 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Arthur Chapman who took this action.

Arthur Chapman commented on "EOL Curators":

I think we need to keep in mind why we want to include common names. For my mind it is so they can be searched for, and often common names are regional - even within one country, so we should list as many as possible so they can be searched. I like Michael's original idea of having some structure to how they are written. The bird people do this well and I have tried to bring this into the way I do plants (and insects) etc. For example Livistona nitida - "Carnavon Gorge Cabbage-Palm" Palms are a well-known group and thus get a Capital 'P' . There are then groups of palms of which "Cabbage-Palms" are one so they get a capital and a hyphen and then within those you have the "Australian Cabbage-Palm", "Carnarvon Gorge Cabbage-Palm", etc. Another group of plants are known as "Beauty-heads" It would have the capital 'B' and a lower-case 'h' as the "Heads" are not a group on the own. I am in favour of the judicial use of capitals in the names as above. I don't think we should force definitive lists of common names - it defeats the purpose, although lists of common names are good and encourage (rather then force) their use. I like the Atlas of Living Australia's treatment of common names - where full lists are given, and you can "vote" as to what you think is the most appropriate/common, etc. and that moves it up in the order in which they are displayed.