Maria del Rosario Castañeda

Anolis catcher

Katja Schulz commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@John P. Sullivan: Sorry John, our informatics team has done some work on this already, but I don't think any of the revised code was pushed out, and there are some remaining issues. Unfortunately they don't have a lot of time to spend on LifeDesks at the moment. I'll see if I can get them to pick this up again.

almost 2 years ago • deleted: almost 2 years ago

@Kent McFarland: I posted a message about the iNaturalist image sharing to our flickr group discussion a month ago. The main advantage of iNaturalist over Flickr is that you can get your identifications vetted by the iNaturalist community. EOL harvests only images associated with Research Grade iNat observations, and these photos come in as trusted rather than the unreviewed default for flickr. iNat also reports their Research Grade observations to GBIF. However, EOL does not yet map the location information associated with either flickr or iNat observations. That's on our list of things to implement in the future.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of John P. Sullivan who took this action.

John P. Sullivan commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Katja Schulz: Katja, I never heard anything more about the image upload problem I was having on my Lifedesk. I suspended uploading images since so many of them were seemingly getting truncated. You know if this issue was looked at?

almost 2 years ago

@Kent McFarland: I've not tried inaturalist, but if it is free, one advantage over Flickr would be that image resolution wouldn't be lost if the uploader stops paying. At present, if a Flickr subscriber ceases to have a Pro account, their images thereafter only show thumbnail size, not full size. A lot of high quality pics have been lost from EOL because of this.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Kent McFarland who took this action.

Kent McFarland commented on "EOL Curators":

Its not clear to me how iNaturalist submissions show up on EOL. If I enter a photo of a Xylocopa virginica on iNaturalist, will it be part of that species account on EOL? Slightly confused here. In other words, instead of just putting photos into Flickr and sharing with EOL group there, is it actually better to go through iNaturalist and then the photo as well as the record location will be shared? And, will or is all this shared with GBIF? I searched around to see if there was information on this, so if I missed it, please just point me to the material so you don't have to waste time on this. Thanks everyone.

almost 2 years ago

@Michael Wunderli: Where would you want to show it? On your EOL profile page? I don't think iNaturalist provides a widget for your life list. That would be very big for most people. But they do have one for a sample of your observations, e.g., your most recent observations. I tried to add this to my EOL profile page, but sadly, it didn't work. There must be some code in the widget that's currently disallowed on EOL profile pages. I agree that it would be great to enable this and other widgets from related sites, but it will probably be a while before our development team would have the time to tackle this task.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Michael Wunderli who took this action.

Michael Wunderli commented on "EOL Curators":

is there a way to show the inaturalist.org life list on eol? http://www.inaturalist.org/lists/61661-micha_els-Life-List

almost 2 years ago

@Michаel Frаnkis: Thanks, Michael. I am pretty sure they should be delinked. Working on that.

almost 2 years ago

@Cyndy Parr: Done a little bit. Most of the pics are just thumbnail size from biopix and bioimages so get 3*, but I found 3 located wild origin, very high resolution (print-quality) pics of Ulva lactuca which I've given 5* and set two of them as exemplars.

All the Ulvaceae pics also appear on the Chlorophyceae page; I'm not familiar enough with the taxonomy of the two groups to know if that needs delinking.

almost 2 years ago

We could use some rating and trusting and setting of good exemplars in the following two algae families: Chlorophyceae http://eol.org/pages/3923/worklist and Ulvaceae http://eol.org/pages/4051/worklist. Can anybody take a look?

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "EOL Curators":

There are four hours remaining to register your preferences for research ideas for next week's RFP. Please visit I Wish to rate the candidates.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Kelly O'Donnell: Rats. Okay, thanks for checking; I submitted a bug report. Stand by for satisfaction...

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Kelly O'Donnell who took this action.

Kelly O'Donnell commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Jennifer Hammock: It looks like the Facebook button becomes inactive after you press it. So I can't try to post it again while I'm signed into EOL as myself. The Twitter button works fine.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Kelly O'Donnell: Thanks for checking, Kelly. It certainly should work that way. I just tried it and I had to do it twice before it stuck- I think maybe the first time it got hung up in my Facebook login. Could you do me a favor and see if you score on the second try?

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Kelly O'Donnell who took this action.

Kelly O'Donnell commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

Hey all! I have a question about this Facebook Like button. I liked a video of mine thinking it would get shared with my Facebook network. The like worked (the EOL page says 1 person liked it), but I didn't see it on my FB account. Is that not the way this works?

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Michael Caterino who took this action.

Michael Caterino commented on "EOL Curators":

@Bob Corrigan - Entomologists, at least, tend to specialize at the family level, and catalogs are most frequently issued at that level, although some smaller Orders may also be cataloged at once.

almost 2 years ago

@Michael Wunderli: We do not yet import content from the German Wikipedia. Harvesting Wikipedia in multiple languages is on our list of things to do, but we don't have an estimate yet when this task can be tackled. For the time being, you'd have to copy and past the content into EOL manually. For more information, see Reusing Wikipedia content.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Bob Corrigan who took this action.

Bob Corrigan commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michael Caterino: Michael, what would be the highest "level" (e.g., order, family, genus) would you want to set a preferred classification and see it propagate "down" from? I'd like to calibrate the requirement a little better.