Maria del Rosario Castañeda

Anolis catcher

@Rob Mutch: Hi Rob, there may have been a problem with the last YouTube harvest. We'll look into it. Most likely the videos will come back on board without you having to do anything. I don't think a lot of curators review videos. Most focus on text or images, and we still have some capacity building to do for the videos. Keep in mind that EOL has over 400,000 unreviewed data objects, so it may take a while for a curator to bump into any particular piece of content.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Rob Mutch who took this action.

Rob Mutch commented on "EOL Curators":

It appears all my videos have been "kicked out" of their respective EOL species pages once again. The first time this happened I had to make some coding change to the videos on Youtube (where they are hosted). Do I need to do this again? To be honest this is dampening my enthusiasm for content donation to EOL. I'm a professional nature photographer, so, my videos are not poor quality. And, they are not being reviewed as trusted. Why? Perhaps, I'm not making my copyright/ownership of the videos clear? Hmmm... I LOVE the EOL meme and E. O. Wilson. Rob :o)

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Kelly O'Donnell who took this action.

Kelly O'Donnell commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Jennifer Hammock: Hi Jen! Could you put my LifeDesk in that list? Link: http://urbanfloranyc.lifedesks.org/ Annotation text: The urban habitat supports a wide variety of plant life. Do you have any photos of plants in the city? Share them with the Urban Flora of NYC LifeDesk!

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

Hi guys! Anyone interested in attracting colleagues to post content on your LifeDesk/Scratchpad/other site? Please take a look at our Partners Looking for Content collection and send me a link and annotation text if you'd like to be listed. Email or reply right here :)

almost 2 years ago

@Jamie McMillan: Hi Jamie, You mentioned that your "photo has been imported into a taxon with the same error..." It would be good for us to know which taxon you are referring to, so we can try to get the error fixed. Can you please provide a link to the page with the bad taxon name? Thanks!

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: Thanks. Very clever harvester!

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of José R Ferrer-Paris who took this action.

José R Ferrer-Paris commented on "EOL Curators":

@Robert Guralnick: Hello Robert, I work with biodiversity surveys in Venezuela, we have data for birds, butterflies and dung beetles that come from compilations of literature records and national scale field surveys. I took a look at the Map of Life, and it looks like a good opportunity to share our data, how do I contact the data manager(s)?

almost 2 years ago

@Jamie McMillan: You can do this at the source, if it is on Flickr, since it is your own photo. The correction will come through to EOL with the next harvest.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on "EOL Curators":

I got a species name wrong and my photo has been imported into a taxon with the same error. I want to edit my own photos in this (the name) and take them out of the wrongly-named taxon. How do I do this?

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on "EOL Curators":

@Bart C.: Still working on adding location data to my records in a form that can be imported into other databases. MapMate is the UK standard for doing this and is based on our OS National Grid, but can US or other databases import from MapMate? I am still not sure if MapMate works for locations outside the UK either.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Robert Guralnick who took this action.

Robert Guralnick commented on "EOL Curators":

@Bart C.: Bart, Map of Life (mappinglife.org) has a data manager (actually three right now, but one whose focus is connect with the community) who has the job of making this effort as painless and efficient as possible for the provider. We do need a little help from the providers to assure proper citation and link-backs. You can see the provider citation information in our Data Dashboard on the site. I hope this helps!

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Bart C. who took this action.

Bart C. commented on "EOL Curators":

@Jamie McMillan: Are your data being imported in mappingoflife.org now? I would like to know how it works to map names and locations to such a database. It must consume a lot of time. Other suggestions for you would be to contact one or more owners of websites like project noah, ispot, inaturalist, observado.org, etc. if they can import it into one of their databases. But I doubt they want to map mismatches for you.

almost 2 years ago • edited: almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on "EOL Curators":

@Alan Couch: Thanks, but I think it is a level or two higher than what I am after which is easy basic input of worldwide observations.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jiri Hulcr who took this action.

Jiri Hulcr commented on "Scratchpads Community":

Yes, I've been using bulk import regularly. Very cool feature! I have over 600 images on the site now:) I think Eli has been using it, too.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Scratchpads Community":

Jiri, have you tried out the bulk image import yet? (Or anyone else?) Anyone have opinions or pointers? Laurence warns one or two bits of workflow might be weird, but everything should work. You should be able to bring in 50Mb of files at a time. After import, it will not take you to your files automatically so you can add metadata, but you can still get there any time (content menu, Image "grid" view) and edit them in bulk.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Alan Couch who took this action.

Alan Couch commented on "EOL Curators":

@Jamie McMillan: http://www.gbif.org/ is probably what you are after. Or http://www.ala.org.au/ for the Australian stuff :-)

almost 2 years ago • edited: almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on "EOL Curators":

@Robert Guralnick: Thanks. That was quick! I will have a look. I can send thousands of names and contact details in a mailshot to an online database so think I should be able to do the same somewhere with bio records.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Robert Guralnick who took this action.

Robert Guralnick commented on "EOL Curators":

@Jamie McMillan: The Map of Life project is built for that exact use case. See mappinglife.org for more information. Happy to put you in touch with our data managers who can help with ingest. We don't have automated forms for that yet, but we do take credit for providing such data very seriously. You can click the data dashboard at the Map of Life site for more dataset information. I hope this helps!

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on "EOL Curators":

Here is a very big question. I have wildlife records in text form from all over the world. Is there any website that would accept them as EXcel, CSV text or whatever, and is there a way of geotagging text records like this? Basically I would like to do what I am doing with my photos and EOL, but without the photos! And preferably not to have to enter each record manually!

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jiri Hulcr who took this action.

Jiri Hulcr commented on "Scratchpads Community":

Yup, that seems to have approximately doubled the speed. Awesome!