Maria del Rosario Castañeda

Anolis catcher

@Robert Guralnick: NC is allowed (for better or worse), but ND is not.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Robert Guralnick who took this action.

Robert Guralnick commented on "EOL Curators":

@Cyndy Parr: "NC" or "ND"?

over 1 year ago

For EOL it has to be unrestricted for derivative use, so if the CC license has "ND" in it then I'm afraid we can't use it. All other CC licenses are okay.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Kathryn Hall: Hey, Kathryn; if it's a one time thing, please comment about it here: http://eol.org/communities/50/newsfeed. "Homonym hunters" keep track of problems in that category so the admin can fix them. If you've found several you may want to join the community so you can add taxa to their collection of problem cases directly. Thanks!!

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Maggie Whitson who took this action.

Maggie Whitson commented on "EOL Curators":

@Cyndy Parr: Thanks, Cyndy I may have to resort to that. It looked to me, though, like the license was already fine for non-commercial use. I'm still figuring out the differences between all of these license types.

over 1 year ago

@Maggie Whitson: If you contact the photographers and invite them to change the licenses to one of those that EOL accepts, they could let CalPhotos know and then the photos can come over in the weekly update. But it might be a long shot.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Kathryn Hall who took this action.

Kathryn Hall commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

Hi All, I am preferring classifications for my group (sponges) and I found a group that has a botanical homonym. It isn't a validity problem - but - EOL chooses to show botanical photos on the taxon pages. Does anyone know how to get rid of the botany photos for these animals? I have preferred the zoological classification and I tried lowering the trust on the photos. I didn't like doing this because they are from an herbarium/botanical gardens and I am sure they are right for the plant - any ideas how to stop the plant pictures showing up for the animal? Thanks, Kathryn

over 1 year ago

@Maggie Whitson: Sorry Maggie, the text on the Info for Curators page was misleading. I have updated it to clarify things. We are suggesting that curators who want to share THEIR OWN images can use CalPhotos to do so. Unfortunately, curators cannot add images from CalPhotos to EOL. We are already getting all the CalPhotos images they can share. If you find an image on CalPhotos that is not on EOL, it's because the license of the image is not compatible with the EOL licensing policy. If you would like to find new images that can be added to EOL, the best platform to look is Flickr. The site has an Advanced Search with an optional license filter. EOL can accept Creative Commons licensed content that can be modified, adapted, or built upon. If you find suitable images on Flickr, check out the Encyclopedia of Life Images Group. On this page you will find sample invitation messages that curators can use to recruit new images to the group pool.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of John Tasirin who took this action.

John Tasirin commented on "EOL Curators":

@rick mcneill: Very useful. Thanks.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of rick mcneill who took this action.

rick mcneill commented on "EOL Curators":

@Richard Glor: Aloha Richard I use the tabbing function of my browser and open each image in a separate tab, so the original page is also still open. Then I just go from tab to tab, saving each image as trusted. The you reload the original page.

over 1 year ago

@Maggie Whitson: Not sure you can with CalPhotos - it's not like Flickr where you can invite any suitably licensed image, the CalPhotos contributors have to have indicated that they are willing to license their images, and then once licensed, they are automatically harvested.

Dare I say it too, a lot of the CalPhotos are not terribly good, they're all small (barely more than thumbnail size), and many are poor quality scans from slides.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Maria del Rosario Castañeda":

@Maria del Rosario Castañeda: Just saw an Anoles collection and wanted to make sure you were acquainted. I guess it's a small world, though...

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Maria del Rosario Castañeda who took this action.

Maria del Rosario Castañeda commented on Maria del Rosario Castañeda's newsfeed:

over 1 year ago • deleted: over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Maria del Rosario Castañeda who took this action.

@Jennifer Hammock: Hi Jen! Yes, he is. Why?

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Richard Glor who took this action.

Richard Glor commented on "EOL Curators":

@Patrick Coin: The worklist is a nice convenience, but a bulk trust option would still be a very desirable addition. I just went through and trusted a dozen or so images and it took far longer than it should have, especially given the lag in saving changes and flipping among images.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Maggie Whitson who took this action.

Maggie Whitson commented on "EOL Curators":

I am a new curator. I have found images over CalPhotos that I'd like to add to EOL. The Info for Curators page says to browse CalPhotos to find images to add, but doesn't say how to add them once you've found them. Can anyone direct me to a FAQ or another help page that explains in detail how to do this? Thanks.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Richard Glor who took this action.

Richard Glor commented on "EOL Curators":

@Katja Schulz: Nice work. I think this would be improvement.

almost 2 years ago