Maria del Rosario Castañeda

Anolis catcher

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

@Katja Schulz: On that note, I see it's been over 3 months since wikimedia was harvested (http://eol.org/content_partners/119). Are there plans to run it again soon? Have you sorted out your disk space issues?

about 1 year ago

@Eric Peterson:

A 'harvest now' button would be great, but I'm afraid it's not feasible right now. Harvesting data from over 300 sources is a very resource-intensive endeavor.

Flickr gets harvested almost every night, so most of the time, there will be a 24 hour turnaround for images there. Sometimes it may take longer if there are harvesting delays. Calphotos is harvested weekly, so the turnaround time will be a little longer there. You can check the CalPhotos collection to get an idea when it was last harvested, but note that "weekly" does not mean exactly every 7 days. Sometimes it may take a day or two longer.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Eric Peterson who took this action.

Eric Peterson commented on "EOL Curators":

What is the image harvesting cycle? I'd like to work on photos and other information for a number of lichens. It is a little awkward to post images on Flickr or CalPhotos, then have to wait an unspecified length of time before the images show up. Knowing how long it will be would help. Even better would be some sort of 'harvest now' button on the media page for species and sub-specific taxa. Thanks!

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of петя спасова who took this action.

петя спасова commented on "EOL Curators":

thanks cyndy

about 1 year ago

If you haven't tried it, I invite you to try the manual recropping tools for thumbnail images. As you've probably noticed, we have an automatic cropping algorithm that often works, but slightly less often doesn't work. It takes the upper left part of an image, so for animals facing right it doesn't work at all. You can recrop any image by going to the image page, drawing a square on it, then saving using the "crop image" button.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Leo Shapiro who took this action.

Leo Shapiro commented on "EOL Curators":

I saw the collection go from 300 items before reindexing to 301 after...Perhaps this was true causation and perhaps not, but I saw the count go up.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Jakob Fahr who took this action.

Jakob Fahr commented on "EOL Curators":

Thanks Leo & Katja, it's now in the collection but I'm 102.3% it wasn't a couple of hours ago...

about 1 year ago

@Jakob Fahr: Yes, I see it on page 4 of the collection. Are you sure it wasn't there earlier?

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Leo Shapiro who took this action.

Leo Shapiro commented on "EOL Curators":

@Jakob Fahr: Have a look, but I think it's there now; maybe just needed reindexing?

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of петя спасова who took this action.

петя спасова commented on "EOL Curators":

@Jakob Fahr: maybe a author problem.

about 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Jakob Fahr who took this action.

Jakob Fahr commented on "EOL Curators":

Hi everyone! This taxon http://eol.org/pages/327629 should be part of this collection: http://eol.org/collections/57003 but doesn't show up in the list of the latter. Any idea what the problem might be?

about 1 year ago

@Michаel Frаnkis: Michael, we'll keep these suggestions in mind if we get a chance to change the software to accommodate taxon-based or geographic-based variants of labels for data. As you know, developer time is always precious so we have to juggle priorities. Thanks for your input.

over 1 year ago

@Cyndy Parr: Thanks! Another taxon-specific one needed is to change 'litters' to 'broods' for Aves. Maybe for some Mammalia too, I'd not think of a baby Elephas maximus as 'litter'!
    On spelling variants, I think this is better done by taxon, depending on the region they are from, so just as 'colour' is correct for old world taxa, so is 'color' for new world taxa.
    I'll take a look at promoting / removing items; I couldn't work out how to do it before.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Tiago Falotico who took this action.

Tiago Falotico commented on "EOL Curators":

@Bruno Marino: Sim. Estou cuidando da parte dos macacos-prego e alguns outros primatas brasileiros.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Bruno Marino who took this action.

Bruno Marino commented on "EOL Curators":

Há algum brasileiro contribuindo para o site? Seria bom colaboradores em língua portuguesa.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of John P. Sullivan who took this action.

John P. Sullivan commented on "Scratchpads Community":

Bob, Thanks for your reply. Well, clearly the proposed partnership with Scratchpads hasn't panned out the way envisioned. As I say, familiar as I am with both platforms I do not wish to see LifeDesks migrated. I wish to see LifeDesks at least supported and preferably developed. I have a hard time understanding how LifeDesks are extraneous to EOL's core mission. I see there are still a few of us actively adding to our LifeDesks and I bet some of them would agree with me. There have not been any bug fixes since May of 2012, despite bugs being reported (by me, for example). Could we at least get bug fixes/maintenance restored? It seems presumptuous to expect folks to invest themselves in new initiatives when EOL has a track record of dropping support for them after a few years.

over 1 year ago • edited: over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Bob Corrigan who took this action.

Bob Corrigan commented on "Scratchpads Community":

@John P. Sullivan: John, thanks for your note. The bottom line is that EOL in 2010 had been pulled in too many directions, and needed to focus on its core mission - with the emergence of the Scratchpad project, we saw an opportunity to work with a team whose primary mission was creating a workbench product - which would allow them to focus on fundraising and sustainability challenges for their interests as we did the same for ours. I will forward your comments to the Scratchpads team, who are always attentive to feedback on how they can improve their product. We continue to maintain Lifedesk online, and will be working to provide migration tools. You can always export the data from a Lifedesk to your machine for archival purposes. Bob

over 1 year ago • edited: over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of John P. Sullivan who took this action.

John P. Sullivan commented on "Scratchpads Community":

Boy, things have been quiet on here. Back in 2011 when it was announced that EOL would stop developing the LifeDesk platform, those of us who were putting hours and hours into our LifeDesks were assured that we wouldn't be left high and dry because a system would be developed to port LifeDesks into Scratchpads. Has that initiative been abandoned? Was that responsibility just dumped upon the Scratchpad people? Seems like we *were* left high and dry as I had feared. I maintain both a v.2 Scratchpad and LifeDesk. Both have their particular strengths and unique capabilities. I can say unequivocally that I do not want to see my Lifedesk ported to a Scratchpad. What I'd like is LifeDesks support and development to be reinitiated. Sorry to see EOL attracting funding for new initiatives like TraitBank while leaving what was in my opinion one of its most promising initiatives to languish. I like my LifeDesk in many respects better than the Scratchpad, particularly in the layout of the species pages, tagging content with taxonomic names via the pop-up window and intuitiveness of the interface. It's also a hell of a lot speedier than the new Scratchpads. LifeDesks came very close to being a perfect platform for a lot of us: a stand-alone site that can be used by specialists and the public alike, a great way to organize taxonomic information and to get content into EOL. I am very unhappy with EOL for abandoning LifeDesks. Who's with me here?

over 1 year ago

@Michаel Frаnkis: Michael -- Curators should use the hide link to hide data records that are incorrect (comment explaining will be helpful; the record will be grayed out for curators but not visible to non-curators).

You can also promote or remove items from the overview tab (for example, if something occurs in a habitat only rarely, that habitat is not a good one for the overview). Also we've already started to think about the need to re-label terms to be more taxon specific -- we'll certainly be looking for input about the best way to do this. As for spelling variants within English, for that we'd have to allow users to set a preference for one or the other.

over 1 year ago • edited: over 1 year ago

"EOL has data for ... traits" Is this new feature editable for curators? There are times where the grouping terms are not appropriate for the taxon concerned, such as 'flower' and 'fruit' for Gymnosperms (should be 'strobili' or 'cones'), or 'color' for European, Australian, etc. taxa (should be 'colour'), and other cases where the datum given is incorrect (e.g. for Pinus albicaulis cones, 'brown' should be 'purple') or is missing and could be added.

over 1 year ago