I was recently appointed to the role of Collections Online Project Co-ordinator in the Sciences Department at Museum Victoria, Australia. I am the Indo-Pacific Governor of The Crustacean Society (consider joining!), and like all members of the society I have a passion for crustacean biology. I enjoy the challenge of presenting taxonomic information to a broad audience.
Through the support of the Census of Marine Life program I was fortunate to gain a Comarge Postdoctoral Research Fellowship (2009-2011). In this role I co-edited the book The Biology of Squat Lobsters (you really should buy a copy), and presented online interactive identification guides to the world’s genera and species. I published new species from the Australian region and continue to work on a phylogeny of the Munidopsidae with Australian and International colleagues.
Prior to my current appointment, I managed the Marine Invertebrate Collections at Museum Victoria since 2001 and in doing so supported the research activities of a wide network of local and international colleagues. I am very excited to be taking on the role of EoL Rubenstein fellow for 2012. By the end of my fellowship I hope that the 400 (or more) species pages I provide for EoL will inspire others to become 'squatty' enthusiasts.
- Full name
- Joanne Taylor
- I am
- a professional scientist
- Curator level
- Full Curator
- 1. EOL Rubenstien Fellow 2012.
2. Poore, G.C.B., Ahyong, S.T., and Taylor, J. (eds) 2011. The Biology of Squat Lobsters. CSIRO Publishing: Melbourne and CRC Press: Boca Raton. 3. Andreakis, N., Ahyong, S.T., & Taylor, J. 2011. Mitochondrial phylogeny of the deep-sea squat lobsters, Munidopsidae (Galatheoidea). Zoologischer Anzeiger, doi:10.1016/j.jcz.2011.06.005
4. Taylor, J., Ahyong, S.T. & Andreakis, N. 2010. New records and new species of the munidopsine squat lobsters (Decapoda: Anomura: Galatheidae: Munidopsinae) from Australia. Zootaxa, 2642, 1-18.
5. Board Member of the Crustacean Society [Indo-Pacific Governor]
- Curation scope
- Squat lobsters of the Superfamily Galatheoidea focussing on the genera Anoplonida, Cervimunida, Fennerogalathea, Galacantha, Lauriea, Leigalathea, Munida, Munidopsis, Paramunida, Pleuroncodes, Raymunida, Sadayoshia and Torbenella.