Fernando Jerep

Characins enthusiast

• Profile picture of Kathy Hill who took this action.

Kathy Hill commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Jennifer Hammock: Hey Jen, did you pass on the long list of cicada homonyms I emailed you or should I submit them to the "homonym hunters"?!

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Kathryn Hall who took this action.

Kathryn Hall commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

Thanks Jen. I joined up because I found a few. Thanks heaps! :)

Katja Schulz commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@John P. Sullivan: They should go to the same place, but I think the LifeDesk feedback function was on the fritz yesterday. Apparently, it's back up and running, and I can see your ticket about the image problem now.

over 1 year ago

Folks, I want to apologize for those of you who are trying to change your notification settings so you don't get so many messages from this discussion group or EOL in general. The password reset mail is often caught in spam filters and we're working to try to fix that. In the meantime, please use the "Contact us" link at the bottom of the page to send a message relating to Membership and Registration and we'll be happy to adjust things for you.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of John P. Sullivan who took this action.

John P. Sullivan commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

I did not get a confirmation. I used the feedback form from the Help menu on LifeDesks, not direct e-mail which I now have done. Shouldn't they both go to the same place? I reported this problem via the LifeDesk feedback form ~2 weeks ago and received no response.

Katja Schulz commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@John P. Sullivan: Did you get a confirmation on your feedback submission? I don't see your ticket in the cue.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of John P. Sullivan who took this action.

John P. Sullivan commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Katja Schulz: Katja, Yes, this was the first thing I tried: editing the image and simply re-uploading the image with the same content, without deleting the original. This never worked: the apparently re-uploaded image always looked the same as before. I did get a re-uploaded image to appear correctly (i.e. complete) after deleting the image, then starting over and having to re-type the text, however even this does not usually work, as I've found out in my subsequent investigation of this problem. I did submit a problem report via the feedback form on the LifeDesk. Thanks for your help on this!

Katja Schulz commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@John P. Sullivan: I doubt that your connection speed has anything to do with it. I suspect that the problem occurs AFTER the image is uploaded, when it is being processed by the software on the server. I understand that retyping the image data is a lot of work. You actually do not have to do this is you follow my instructions and re-upload the image using THE SAME IMAGE FORM: Go to one of the image pages, e.g., http://mormyrids.lifedesks.org/node/734 Click on the Edit tab, then reload the original file using the Choose File button and submit the form. This form will still have all the data you entered previously, and the new image file will simply replace the old, defective version. There's also no need to delete the image that previously had the truncated original, because you are fixing the problem on this original data object. Let me know if you want me to walk you through this via skype or phone. Also, if the problem occurs frequently and it's just too much trouble to use this workaround, we can ask the programmers to look into it. Let me know if you want me to initiate this, or do it yourself by sending a problem report to feedback[at]lifedesks.org.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of John P. Sullivan who took this action.

John P. Sullivan commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

over 1 year ago • deleted: over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of John P. Sullivan who took this action.

John P. Sullivan commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Katja Schulz: Katja, In one case when I deleted the image and re-uploaded the problem was corrected and in another case the new image was truncated as before. This is happening on many of the images I have been uploading and repeatedly retyping the info associated with each repeatedly until I get a good version uploaded is not an option. Have had this problem working from both Firefox and Chrome. One thing that occurs to me is that I'm working from a computer with a very fast connection to the internet. The upload speed is very fast. I will see if this happens when I use a slower wifi connection.

Katja Schulz commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@John P. Sullivan: I haven't seen any other reports about this problem. I spot-checked your LifeDesk gallery, and it looks like most of your images are ok. I found a couple more that are truncated: http://mormyrids.lifedesks.org/node/716 http://mormyrids.lifedesks.org/node/727 This can sometimes happen when the software that creates the different versions of the image on the LifeDesk gets tripped up somewhere along the process. Often these kinds of things are difficult to reproduce. You should be able to fix these particular images simply by uploading the image file again into the existing image data form. To do this, go to one of the image pages, e.g., http://mormyrids.lifedesks.org/node/734 Click on the Edit tab, then reload the original file using the Choose File button and submit the form. If this doesn't solve the problem, or if it turns out to be more widespread than I think, let me know, and I will ask the developers to put this on their list of things to check out. Also, you can file a bug report yourself by sending an email to feedback[at]lifedesks.org

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of John P. Sullivan who took this action.

John P. Sullivan commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

I have noticed a serious problem uploading images to my LifeDesk. Large images appear to get truncated. (Look at http://mormyrids.lifedesks.org/image/view/734/_original) for example.) The thumbnail and smaller image appear to be okay. How/where do we report bugs like this? Is the feedback from on Lifedesks still monitored? Has anyone else experienced this issue?

over 1 year ago

@Michаel Frаnkis: It looks like Wikimedia Commons was last harvested on 3 July. Usually it gets refreshed more frequently, but I know it's a tricky harvest that often needs manual intervention. Our content important team is currently short-handed and in the middle of a big project with global partners. So it's possible that harvesting of complicated resources is a little slower than usual.

over 1 year ago

Problems with Wiki Commons harvest?

There's been no new harvest of pics from Wiki Commons since 21 June; pics added to Commons pages on 22 June and subsequently have not appeared here yet. Is there a particular known problem causing this?

over 1 year ago • edited: over 1 year ago

Just to clarify things for people who are not familiar with all those abbreviations: CC refers to creative commons licenses, which are required for all EOL content that is not in the public domain; NC refers to the non-commercial restriction which is compatible with the EOL licensing policy; ND refers to the no derivatives restriction, which prevents others from re-using the content in the creation of new, related works. The ND restriction is not compatible with the EOL licensing policy. All creative commons licenses require attribution, so credit for the creator of the original work is always assured.

over 1 year ago

@Robert Guralnick: NC is allowed (for better or worse), but ND is not.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Robert Guralnick who took this action.

Robert Guralnick commented on "EOL Curators":

@Cyndy Parr: "NC" or "ND"?

over 1 year ago

For EOL it has to be unrestricted for derivative use, so if the CC license has "ND" in it then I'm afraid we can't use it. All other CC licenses are okay.

over 1 year ago

• Profile picture of Jennifer Hammock who took this action.

Jennifer Hammock commented on "Rubenstein Fellows":

@Kathryn Hall: Hey, Kathryn; if it's a one time thing, please comment about it here: http://eol.org/communities/50/newsfeed. "Homonym hunters" keep track of problems in that category so the admin can fix them. If you've found several you may want to join the community so you can add taxa to their collection of problem cases directly. Thanks!!