Malcolm Storey

• Profile picture of Malcolm Storey who took this action.

Malcolm Storey commented on an older version of Image of Nectria cinnabarina:

Hi Priscila,

Did you click on the "more Info" link? That takes you to the original collection of photographs. The second one down shows a few perithecia around the bases of some of the conidiomata.

Don't be confused by the dusting of black Massaria spores.

almost 2 years ago • edited: almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Priscila Chaverri who took this action.

Priscila Chaverri commented on an older version of Image of Nectria cinnabarina:

It is difficult to tell exactly what this species is but certainly it is not Nectria cinnabarina.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Priscila Chaverri who took this action.

This belongs in Nectria, Nectriaceae, Hypocreales, Ascomycota

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Malcolm Storey who took this action.

Malcolm Storey commented on an older version of Image of Pyrausta aurata:

Hi Jamie, I've had another look in Goater and asked around. Yes, you're right.

Many thanks for taking the trouble to point it out.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Malcolm Storey who took this action.

Malcolm Storey commented on "What are the biological correlates of mimicry relationships?":

Mimicry is a very wide subject. It can be body-parts that mimic, not just whole organisms: orchid flowers mimic female bees, eye-spots on insect wings, tropical leaves grow butterfly egg mimics to prevent oviposition, - and domestic dogs have evolved big heads and eyes to mimic babies :) . It can be across kingdoms or within a single species (immature male mammals mimic females to avoid male aggression - or is it just the they aren't yet producing testosterone? - calling something mimicry is usually a post hoc interpretation).

Mimicry also merges into camouflage.

Mimicry is a three-way interaction. It requires an enforcer. There has to be some organism (usually a predator) to create the selective advantage. Mimicry is in the eye of the beholder!

I'm sure we're only aware of a fraction of it: scent, sound/vibration and ultra-violet colouration are beyond our sensors.

Guess what I'm saying is that the project probably needs a restricted definition of mimicry, eg two species where the individuals, at some stage in their life-cycles, resemble each other, to human eyes, more than would be expected from their genetic similarity.

But that definition is highly subjective, and our perception of the expected dissimilarity has been exaggerated by "dismimicry" where two closely-related species that use visual cues in mate selection are disproportionately different - eg most of the large brightly-coloured insects that we are familiar with.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Malcolm Storey who took this action.

Malcolm Storey commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

Actually both "more info" and "view source" still work. But you're right, it's time I revisited harvesting with Jen. The exchange-file project died when Eli left.

Cyndy Parr commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Jamie McMillan: In general if you want to get to the original version of an EOL data object you can always click on "View source" in the Source Information panel on the right.

Cyndy Parr commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Malcolm Storey: Work with Jen Hammock to get your harvests going again and fix the "More info" link label. Looks to me like we were waiting for you but I could be wrong.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Malcolm Storey: Have I struck a nerve? I have been very impressed by the speed EOL takes my Flickr images although I am still editing them one by one. Can't it just run a spider through your images or something?

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on an older version of Image of Pyrausta aurata:

I think this one is P.aurata. I can't see the hindwing which would clinch it, but the yellow spot on postmedial line nearest the dorsum doesn't look big enough. The underside on the other photos I think rules it out. There should be a pale postmedial crescent on the underside of the hindwing - this looks like a yellow spot.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Malcolm Storey who took this action.

Malcolm Storey commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Jamie McMillan: Hi Jamie, Just click on the "more info" link just above "Latest updates". (Cyndy: I think "more info" is misleading - it should be"visit original website" or something like that)

Unfortunately EOL hasn't updated from BioImages for almost 2 years.

almost 2 years ago • edited: almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Malcolm Storey: Malcolm I couldn't work out how to get from the EOL page to the Bioimages page showing all the views of that individual. I am also not sure if all your Bioimages views show up on the EOL page. If they don't the one I queried isn't the best one to choose for EOL as it doesn't show the key diagnostic features from lunularia. This could be just beginners confusion.. I'm new to all this .

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Cyndy Parr: OK, Image 6 shows the features for teralunaria. I'm not quite sure if this reply shows up on the right page. I'll look now and delete my suggested association. Still working this site out.

Cyndy Parr commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Malcolm Storey: Organizing the photos by individual does make a lot of sense and I'll think about proposing that we do that -- but we'd need a way for partners to pass that info to us (not hard -- just a field for a unique specimen identifier). It would also clean up our media galleries -- I've got an idea for how to do that. Give us a year or so to implement, if we decide to do it :-)

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Malcolm Storey who took this action.

Malcolm Storey commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Cyndy Parr: Yes Cyndy, they're the same individual. Both EOL and DiscoverLife separate out the individual images when there is a set of related images - I know most people don't organise their images into sets, but they're wrong! :) I always try to take a set of photos of the same individual or collection to show all the features needed to confirm identification. Set size varies but averages 14 over the 84,000 images I have online. IMO, by splitting the sets you lose the confidence in identification, especially for individual close-ups of diagnostic features which it leaves a bit isolated and arbitrary. Presumably when we get GUID's for the field record it will sort itself out.

almost 2 years ago • edited: almost 2 years ago

Cyndy Parr commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

@Jamie McMillan: There are other images of the same individual (I think) at http://www.bioimages.org.uk/html/r152230.htm -- does that help?

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Jamie McMillan who took this action.

Jamie McMillan commented on an older version of Image of Selenia tetralunaria:

Difficult from a photo but I can't see the dark spot on the hindwing and the rear edge of the cross-band on the forewing looks rather straight. You may have got pics from different angles to check. If it is Lunar, they don't seem to have any on EOL so it would be a good thing.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Malcolm Storey who took this action.

Malcolm Storey commented on an older version of Associations:

@Bart C.: Hi Cyndy, Bart, Afraid it's a widespread problem. Firstly I've split off the associations into www.bioinfo.org.uk as they were overwhelming the photographs on BioImages. Secondly I've changed both websites so that taxa are accessed by name, so the current URL is www.bioinfo.org.uk/html/Cetonia_aurata.htm Afraid EOL haven't scraped my sites for a couple of years and so your copy has got a bit out of date. The current work under biotic-interactions@googlegroups.com should produce exchange formats so we can get back inline again. Malcolm

Cyndy Parr commented on an older version of Associations:

@Bart C.: Thanks for spotting it! Wonder if it is just this object or if it is a more widespread BioImages problem.

almost 2 years ago

• Profile picture of Bart C. who took this action.

Bart C. commented on an older version of Associations:

The link of bioimages is a dead link.