C. Michael Hogan

Physicist

• Profile picture of title12345 who took this action.

title12345 commented on "Description":

this great thank you

1 day ago

@Yan Wong: Thanks! Will do, if I find any.

2 days ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: by the way, I think the lag in the Milvus pictures appearing was simply because the code change means they are updated slightly later in the process than previously. So it should only happen this once. Let me know if you see it happen again.

2 days ago

@Yan Wong: Ah! they've all appeared now, thanks! There's 7 pages of photos now, whereas yesterday there were just 3 pages.

I'll check soon to see if the subsp. and var. codes are working, too.

3 days ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: It might just be a time lag. I see that, for instance, http://eol.org/data_objects/28679751 is still there, which is only in Category: Milvus milvus in flight. Can you give me any examples which used to be there but aren't any more? Any idea if the subspecies & hybrid code seems to be working now?

3 days ago

@Yan Wong: Thanks!

3 days ago

Yan Wong commented on "EOL Curators":

Thanks for letting me know. I was going to tell you that the new code for this to work is now in operation (also the code to spot subspecies/ varieties), so if any of this is not working, it's a problem from my/the EoL end. I'll try to sort out what's going on tomorrow.

4 days ago

@Yan Wong: Hi Yan - As Milvus milvus popped up on my newsfeed, I looked at the species, and saw all the pics from https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Milvus_milvus_in_flight have vanished from EoL. So unfortunately, the {{Category:Milvus milvus}} trick isn't working. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

4 days ago

Yan Wong commented on "File:Rotmilan Todfunde 2.JPG":

data

4 days ago

@Cyndy Parr: The pics are viewable by clicking on 'View source'. They were all from wiki commons and flickr of pics that we already have here, so they could be hidden as duplicates.

5 days ago

• Profile picture of петя спасова who took this action.

петя спасова commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: im not a help,but try asking in the forums how can they fix that...

5 days ago

@Dana Campbell: Thanks for reporting this, Dana, we're looking into it so don't hide them.

7 days ago

• Profile picture of Dana Campbell who took this action.

Dana Campbell commented on "EOL Curators":

Katja, are the images on this page http://eol.org/pages/590944/media that don't show up something we can fix? Or should we hide them? (or maybe you see all of them and it's just my browsers that show them as broken?)

7 days ago

• Profile picture of Theodore Ganea who took this action.

Theodore Ganea commented on "EOL Curators":

@Michаel Frаnkis: I have no idea.

8 days ago

@Michаel Frаnkis: The ADW folks are very attentive to their EOL comment stream. So the best thing would be to bring this to their attention by leaving a comment on one of the affected images.

8 days ago

Animal Diversity Web photos by David Blank — when I click on 'View source' for any image supplied by this supplier, I get an error message "Forbidden. You don't have permission to access /site/resources/david_blank/ on this server."

This means I am unable to access information about the photos, including location, etc., which restricts my ability to curate these images effectively.

Anyone have any idea what's going on there?

9 days ago

Michаel Frаnkis commented on "Image of Procavia capensis":

Blurred

10 days ago

Michаel Frаnkis commented on "Image of Procavia capensis":

blurred

10 days ago

Michаel Frаnkis commented on "Procavia capensis (Pallas, 1766)":

@samsar: I checked; there's no hyraxes of any species native to Tunisia. I'd guess it must have been a rodent of some sort that you saw.

10 days ago

• Profile picture of samsar who took this action.

samsar commented on "Procavia capensis (Pallas, 1766)":

A query: having read the EOL entry on Procavia capensis, with reference to its range ( text and maps ), I would like to determine whether the species is found in Tunisia. I am reasonably certain that, while on a month long travel around Tunisia, I observed rock hyraxes ("dassies" in my native South Africa ) on several occasions in rocky hill-terrain in the northern and central regions, very similar to the koppies of South Africa. Unfortunately, I did not note the precise locations, as I soon took the presence of the animal to be a commonplace. Admittedly, I was at first curious to notice what seemed like a smaller, lighter/sandier version of the dassie, and wondered whether I had perhaps not seen some kind of marmot or ground squirrel. I was using binoculars ( 8x40 ), and was often at leisure within 100 metres of them. The behaviour was also typical - pairs and small groups moving adeptly about on steep rock, and rapidly resorting to the shelter of crevices and overhangs in apparent alarm. I would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me on this point, as I have found no reference to the hyrax in Tunisia on other English language websites.

10 days ago