Catalog Number: USNM 219299
Collection: Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, Department of Vertebrate Zoology, Division of Fishes
Collector(s): T. Roberts
Year Collected: 1975
Locality: Papua New Guinea: Northern District. Ovi Creek (tributary of Kumusi River) 10 km ESE of Kokoda (high forest)., New Guinea, Papua New Guinea
- Paratype: Collette, B. B. 1982. Copeia. 1982 (2): 266-268, fig. 2.
Habitat and Ecology
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- Needs updating
- 1994Rare (R)
Robert's river garfish
Robert's river garfish (Zenarchopterus robertsi) is a species of viviparous halfbeak endemic to Papua New Guinea where it is only known from the area around Kokoda. This species grows to a length of 13 centimetres (5.1 in) SL.
Environment[edit source | edit]
The Robert's river garfish is known to be found in a freshwater environment within a pelagic depth range. This species lives in a tropical climate. They are known to be found in the biological area of rain forest streams. The Robert's river garfish lives in the oceania region.
Size[edit source | edit]
Distribution[edit source | edit]
Information[edit source | edit]
The Robert's river garfish serves as no threat to humans and they are considered to be harmless. This species does not have the ability to live in an aquarium or for commercial use. They can only live in freshwater and are unable to live in saltwater.
Common names[edit source | edit]
The common names of the Robert river garfish in different languages are as follows:
- Robert's river garfish : English
- Robert's river-garfish : English
- 劳氏异鳞檐 : Mandarin Chinese
- 勞氏異鱗簷 : Mandarin Chinese
Classification[edit source | edit]
The taxonomic classification of the Robert river garfish is as follows:
- Kingdom : Animalia
- Phylum : Chordata
- Subphylum : Vertebrata
- Superclass : Gnathostomata
- Actinopterygii : ray-finned fishes
- Order : Beloniformes
- Family : Hemiramphidae
- Genus : Zenarchopterus
-  Species : Zenarchopterus robertsi
References[edit source | edit]
- "Zenarchopterus robertsi Collette, 1982 Robert's river garfish". Fish Base. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Robert's river garfish (Zenarchopterus robertsi) fish profile". Guppies.ZA. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Zenarchopterus robertsi — Details Robert's River-garfish". Encyclopedia of Life. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Robert’s River Garfish (Zenarchopterus robertsi)". GeoZoo. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Zenarchopterus robertsi". International Union for Conservation of Nature and Natural Resources. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Robert's river garfish". Website of Everything. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Zenarchopterus robertsi - Robert´s River Garfish". Aqua Page. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Zenarchopterus robertsi Robert's river garfish (Also: Robert's river-garfish)". Animal Diversity Web. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
- "Robert's River Garfish". My Scuba Dives. Retrieved 26 June 2013.
Notes[edit source | edit]
- Allen, G. 1996. Zenarchopterus robertsi. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species. Downloaded on 5 August 2007.
- Froese, Rainer and Pauly, Daniel, eds. (2012). "Zenarchopterus robertsi" in FishBase. August 2012 version.
|This order beloniformes related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|