Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||1||Public Records:||1|
|Specimens with Sequences:||1||Public Species:||1|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||1||Public BINs:||0|
|Species With Barcodes:||1|
Lepilaena is a genus of aquatic and marine flowering plant comprising 6 or more species endemic to coastal and brackish or akaline inland waters of temperate Australia, Tasmania, and New Zealand.
The species are appended with common names that derive from their description as water-mats; for example, L. australis is referred to as Austral water-mat and L. marina as Sea water-mat.
Interpretation of molecular evidence for this poorly studied genus suggests a close affinity with Zannichellia, another genus of aquatic plants. Two species are noted for their occurrence in marine environs, L. cylindrocarpa and L. marina, in estuaries and tidal flats. L. cylindrocarpa is also found in a variety of brackish inland waters of mainland Australia. Other species may be found in habitats of fresh to brackish, still or slowly moving, coastal or inland waters.
Species[edit source | edit]
The species currently recognised include:
- Lepilaena australis (type species, aquatic)
- Lepilaena bilocularis (aquatic)
- Lepilaena cylindrocarpa (brackish water, marine)
- Lepilaena marina (marine)
- Lepilaena patentifolia (aquatic)
- Lepilaena preissii (aquatic)
References[edit source | edit]
- "Lepilaena Harv.". FloraBase. Department of Environment and Conservation, Government of Western Australia.
- Guiry, M.D.; Guiry, G.M. (2008). "Lepilaena". AlgaeBase. World-wide electronic publication, National University of Ireland, Galway. Retrieved 2009-02-21.
- Hooker's J. Bot. Kew Gard. Misc. 7: 57. 1855 IPNI
- Hammer, Ulrich Theodore (1986). Saline Lake Ecosystems of the World. Springer London, Limited. ISBN 978-90-6193-535-3.
- Klaus Kubitzki, ed. (1998). Flowering Plants. Monocotyledons: Alismatanae and Commelinanae (except Gramineae) (The Families and Genera of Vascular Plants). Springer. p. 472. ISBN 978-3-540-64061-5.
- Larkum, Anthony W.D.; Duarte, Carlos; Orth, Robert J., eds. (2005). "Taxonomy and biogeorgraphy of seagrasses". Seagrasses: Biology, Ecology and Conservation. Springer-Verlag New York, LLC. ISBN 978-1-4020-2942-4.
- "Lepilaena cylindrocarpa (Muell.Stuttg.)". FloraBase. Department of Environment and Conservation, Government of Western Australia.
|This monocot-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!