Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:27
Specimens with Barcodes:25
Species With Barcodes:5
Cixiinae is a planthopper subfamily in the family Cixiidae. It is one of three such subfamilies, the other two being the Bothriocerinae and the Borystheninae. While a few species had been tested in a larger study of the Fulgoroidea, neither the Cixiinae nor its tribes were analysed cladistically until 2002. Resolution of tribal relationships is incomplete and additional testing of the tribes with samples larger than one per tribe is needed.
In 1938 Metcalf divided the Cixiinae into tribes, including the Cixiini and Oecleini of Muir; however, those divisions were seldom referred to and remained unanlaysed for decades. Subsequently, the Stenophlepsiini were returned to the Cixiinae, and the Pentastirini were subdivided into the Pentastirina and Oliarina subtribes. However, Oliarina was later synonymized under Pentastirina. In 2002, Emeljanov created seven new tribes and in 2004 subtribe Mnemosynina of tribe Pentastirini was raised to tribal level as the Mnemosynini.
Currently there are sixteen recognized tribes, although some tribes lack adequate description:
- Andini Emeljanov, 2002
- Bennarellini Emeljanov, 1989
- Bennini Metcalf, 1938
- Brixidiini Emeljanov, 2002
- Brixiini Emeljanov, 2002
- Cajetini Emeljanov, 2002
- Cixiini Muir, 1923 - non-monophyletic
- Duiliini Emeljanov, 2002
- Eucarpiini Emeljanov, 2002 - monophyletic
- Gelastocephalini Emeljanov, 2000 - putatively monophyletic
- Mnemosynini Szwedo, 2004 - monophyletic
- Oecleini Muir, 1922 - non-monophyletic
- Pentastirini Emeljanov, 1971 - monophyletic
- Pintaliini Metcalf, 1938 - non-monophyletic
- Semonini Emeljanov, 2002 - putatively monophyletic
- Stenophlepsiini Metcalf, 1938
- Larivière, Marie‐Claude and Hoch, Hannelore (1998). "The New Zealand planthopper genus Semo White (Hemiptera: Cixiidae): taxonomic review, geographical distribution, and biology". New Zealand Journal of Zoology 25 (4): 429–442, page 429. doi:10.1080/03014223.1998.9518166. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014.
- Emeljanov, A. F. (1989). "To the problem of division of the family Cixiidae (Homoptera, Cicadina)". Entomological Review 68 (4): 54–67. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014.
- Emeljanov, A. F. (2002). "Contribution to classification and phylogeny of the family Cixiidae (Hemiptera, Fulgoromorpha)". Denisia 4: 103–112. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014.
- Ceotto, Paula, and Bourgoin, Thierry (2008). "Insights into the phylogenetic relationships within Cixiidae (Hemiptera: Fulgoromorpha): cladistic analysis of a morphological dataset". Systematic Entomology 33 (3): 484–500. doi:10.1111/j.1365-3113.2008.00426.x. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014.
- Metcalf, Zeno Payne (1938). "The Fulgorina of Barro Colorado and other parts of Panama". Bulletin of the Museum of Comparative Zoology at Harvard College 82 (5): 277–423.
- Emeljanov, A. F. (1971). "New genera of leafhoppers of the families Cixiidae and Issidãe (Homoptera, Auchenorrhyncha) in the USSR". Entomological Review (Энтомологическое обозрение) 50 (3): 350–354. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014.
- Holzinger, W. E.; Emeljanov, A. F. and Kammerlander, I. (2002). "The family Cixiidae Spinola 1839 (Hemiptera: Fulgoromorpha)–a review". Denisia 4: 113–138. Archived from the original on 9 January 2014.
- Szwedo, Jacek (2004). "Autrimpus sambiorum gen. and sp. nov. from Eocene Baltic amber and notes on Mnemosynini stat. nov. (Hemiptera: Fulgoroidea: Cixiidae)". Annales Zoologici (BioOne (Museum and Institute of Zoology at the Polish Academy of Sciences)) 54 (3): 567–578. Abstract
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!