Water temperature and chemistry ranges based on 1 sample.
Depth range (m): 1 - 37.5
Temperature range (°C): 27.103 - 27.103
Nitrate (umol/L): 1.285 - 1.285
Salinity (PPS): 35.585 - 35.585
Oxygen (ml/l): 4.522 - 4.522
Phosphate (umol/l): 0.154 - 0.154
Silicate (umol/l): 2.560 - 2.560
Depth range (m): 1 - 37.5
Note: this information has not been validated. Check this *note*. Your feedback is most welcome.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Strombus raninus
There is 1 barcode sequence available from BOLD and GenBank. Below is the sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species. See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen. Other sequences that do not yet meet barcode criteria may also be available.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Strombus raninus
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 1
Species With Barcodes: 1
The shell grows to a length of 93 mm. It differs from Lobatus raninus in these characteristics :
- the alation (wing-like outer lip) ends in a single extended lobe (rather than two) beyond the height of the spire
- the shell shows twelve nodules (a swollen knob-like structure) instead of two
- the aperture is yellowish white (instead of red or blue) 
This species is found in the Caribbean Sea along the Isla Margarita, Venezuela, found at depths up to 29 m.
- Macsotay & Villarroel (2001). Representative mollucs from the Margariata shelf Venezuela. Editoria Rivolta, Valencia 280 p.. World Register of Marine Species, Retrieved 27 June 2010.
- Lobatus magolecciai (Macsotay & Villarroel, 2001). WoRMS (2010). Lobatus magolecciai Ma(csotay & Villarroel, 2001). In: Bouchet, P.; Gofas, S.; Rosenberg, G. (2010) World Marine Mollusca database. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=565372 on 26 March 2011.
- Macsotay, O. and R. Campos Villarroel. 2001. Molucos representativos de la Plataforma de Margarita - Venezuela. [iii], iii, 280 pp., 32 pls. Editora Rivolta: Valencia, Venezuela; July 2001
Like other species in the same genus, Lobatus raninus has a robust, somewhat heavy and solid shell, with a distinct stromboid notch. The body whorl is dorsally ornamented by characteristic coarse spiral ridges. The posterior expansion of the flaring outer lip is always lower than the spire.
The color is brownish, with several disperse white spots. Both inner and outer lips are cream or white.
A cladogram based on sequences of nuclear histone H3 gene and mitochondrial cytochrome-c oxidase I (COI) gene showing phylogenetic relationships of (32 analyzed) species in the genus Strombus and Lambis, including Strombus raninus, was proposed by Latiolais et al (2006):
- Bouchet, P. (2010). Lobatus raninus (Gmelin, 1791). Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=531851 on 2011-03-21
- Welch J. J. (2010). "The "Island Rule" and Deep-Sea Gastropods: Re-Examining the Evidence". PLoS ONE 5(1): e8776. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0008776.
- Cervigón, F. et al. (1993): FAO species identification sheets for fishery purposes. Field guide to the commercial marine and brackish-water resources of the northern coast of South America. Rome, FAO. 513 p.
- Latiolais J. M., Taylor M. S., Roy K. & Hellberg M. E. (2006). "A molecular phylogenetic analysis of strombid gastropod morphological diversity". Molecular Phylogenetics and Evolution 41: 436-444. doi:10.1016/j.ympev.2006.05.027. PDF.
- Rosenberg, G., F. Moretzsohn, and E. F. García. 2009. Gastropoda (Mollusca) of the Gulf of Mexico, Pp. 579–699 in Felder, D.L. and D.K. Camp (eds.), Gulf of Mexico–Origins, Waters, and Biota. Biodiversity. Texas A&M Press, College Station, Texas
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to: Lobatus raninus|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!