Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||95||Public Records:||86|
|Specimens with Sequences:||89||Public Species:||22|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||77||Public BINs:||0|
|Species With Barcodes:||22|
Locations of barcode samples
Zosteraceae (the seagrass family) is a family of marine perennial flowering plants found in temperate and subtropical coastal waters, with the highest diversity located around Korea and Japan. Most seagrasses complete their entire life cycle under water, having filamentous pollen especially adapted to dispersion in an aquatic environment and ribbon-like leaves that lack stomata. Seagrasses are herbaceous and have prominent creeping rhizomes. A distinctive characteristic of the family is the presence of characteristic retinacules, which are present in all species except members of Zostera subgenus Zostera.
Zosteraceae has long been accepted by taxonomists as monophyletic. The APG II system of 2003 recognizes this family and places it in the monocot order Alismatales. The family contains approximately fourteen species divided between two genera, Phyllospadix and Zostera. The latter contains three subgenera: Heterozostera (formerly considered a separate genus ), Zostera and Zosterella. Zosteraceae is closely related to Potamogetonaceae, a family of freshwater aquatics.
- Angiosperm Phylogeny Group (2009). "An update of the Angiosperm Phylogeny Group classification for the orders and families of flowering plants: APG III" (PDF). Botanical Journal of the Linnean Society 161 (2): 105–121. doi:10.1111/j.1095-8339.2009.00996.x. Retrieved 2013-07-06.
- Dumortier (1829). Analyse des Familles de Plantes : avec l'indication des principaux genres qui s'y rattachent. Tournay.
- Ackerman, JD (1997). "Submarine pollination in the marine angiosperm Zostera marina (Zosteraceae) I: The influence of floral morphology on fluid flow". American Journal of Botany (Botanical Society of America) 84 (8): 1099–1109. doi:10.2307/2446153. JSTOR 2446153. Retrieved 2007-06-02.
- Jacobs, S.W.L.; Lee, D.H. (2009). "New combinations in Zostera (Zosteraceae)". Telopea 12: 419–423.
- Les, D.H., Moody, M.L., Jacob, S.W.L. and Bayer, R.J. (2002). "Systematics of Seagrasses (Zosteraceae) in Australia and New Zealand" (abstract). Systematic Botany 27 (3): 468–484. doi:10.1043/0363-6445-27.3.468.
Waycott, M, McMahon, K, Lavery, P 2014, A Guide to Southern Temperate Seagrasses, CSIRO Publishing, Melbourne, isbn 9781486300150
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!