Eristalinus is a genus of hoverfly. Most species have very distinctive eye marking in the form of spots or banding, though these features may fade on some preserved specimens. Most are stout flies, and are nimble flyers, even compared to other hoverfly species.
At one time the members of this genus were divided into three clades (Eristalinus, Eristalodes and Lathyrophthalmus) based on morphological characters such as whether the eyes were spotted or striped. Recently Pérez-Bañon et al. studying the European species of Eristalinus using a combination of molecular data and male genitalia characters have determined that the genus in Europe at least, divides neatly into two clades - Eristalinus (+ Lathyrophthalmus) & Eristalodes. It was also discovered that the eye patterning was not taxonomically important as Eristalodes contained members with eyes either spotted or striped.
The following list is an attempt to organise some of the species under subgeneric headings:
List of species by subgenus
- Brigitte Howarth (2006). "Diptera of the UAE - collated records from the literature with additions of new records, accompanied by some notes on Mydidae and Stratiomyidae new to the UAE". Tribulus (Abu Dhabi: Emirates Natural History Group) 16 (2): 24–29. Retrieved 6 January 2009.
- Hassan Ghahari, Rüstem Hayat, Mehrdad Tabari, Hadi Ostovan (2008). "Hover Flies (Diptera: Syrphidae) From Rice Fields and Around Grasslands of Northern Iran". Munis Entomology & Zoology (Ankara, Turkey: Munis Research Group) 3 (1): 275–284. Retrieved 6 January 2009.
- F. Christian Thompson (2003). "Austalis, a new genus of flower flies (Diptera: Syrphidae) with revisionary notes on related genera". Zootaxa 246: 1–19. ISSN 1175-5326. Retrieved 2010-01-31.
- Bezzi, Mario (1915). The syrphidae of the Ethiopian region / based on material in the collection of the British Museum (Natural history) : with the descriptions of new genera and species. British Museum (Natural History).
- Barkalov, A.V. "Syrphidae collection of Siberian Zoological Museum". Novosibirsk, Russia: the Institute of Animal Systematics and Ecology, Siberian Branch of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Archived from the original on October 20, 2008. Retrieved 28 July 2009.
- Perez-Banon, C.; Rojo S.; Stahls G.; Marcos-Garcia M. A. (2003). "Taxonomy of European Eristalinus (Diptera: Syrphidae) based on larval morphology and molecular data". Eur. J. Entomol. 100 (3): 417–428. doi:10.14411/eje.2003.064. ISSN 1802-8829. Retrieved 31 January 2011.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!