Data about Hyaenidae
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
|African Bush Elephant||GloBI|
|African Bush Elephant||GloBI|
|African Forest Elephant||GloBI|
|African Rock Python||GloBI|
Life History and Behavior
Evolution and Systematics
||The Paleobiology Database|
Database and Repository Coverage
Glossary for Hyaenidae
- Age at eye opening
- Age at which both eyes are fully open after birth.
- Kate E. Jones, Jon Bielby, Marcel Cardillo, Susanne A. Fritz, Justin O'Dell, C. David L. Orme, Kamran Safi, Wes Sechrest, Elizabeth H. Boakes, Chris Carbone, Christina Connolly, Michael J. Cutts, Janine K. Foster, Richard Grenyer, Michael Habib, Christopher A. Plaster, Samantha A. Price, Elizabeth A. Rigby, Janna Rist, Amber Teacher, Olaf R. P. Bininda-Emonds, John L. Gittleman, Georgina M. Mace, and Andy Purvis. 2009. PanTHERIA: a species-level database of life history, ecology, and geography of extant and recently extinct mammals. Ecology 90:2648. http://esapubs.org/archive/ecol/E090/184/
- Age at first birth
- Age at which females give birth to their first litter, or their young attach to teats or hatch out
- Body length (VT)
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the body of an organism.
- Body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- Clutch/brood/litter size
- Single birth offspring quantity. The proportion or number of offspring produced from a single pregnancy (mammals) or ovulation (fish) or nesting (birds).
- This organism is adapted for running
- Dispersal age
- Age at which young permanently leave the parent, parental group, social group or any associated territories.
- This taxon is still in existence, as opposed to extinct.
- Extinction status
- Indicates whether a taxon is extant (living today) or extinct.
- Feeds on
- consumes for energetic or other nutritional needs
- First Appearance (Older Bound)
- The older bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- First Appearance (Younger Bound)
- The younger bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Gestation period duration
- The length of time between when a fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus and the birth of offspring.
- Inter-birth interval
- The length of time between successive births of a female.
- Interacts with
- an organism has an effect on another organism in the community.
- Last Appearance (Older Bound)
- The older bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Last Appearance (Younger Bound)
- The younger bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Litters per year
- Number of litters per female per year
- Million years ago
- 1 megaannum in the past. Megaannum, Ma. is a unit of time equal to one million (10^6) years.
- This statement is false; the answer to this question is no.
- Number of articles on EOL
- number of articles for taxa in this clade on EOL
- Number of images on EOL
- number of images of taxa in this clade on EOL
- Number of media on EOL
- number of images+videos+audio files of taxa in this clade on EOL
- Number of public records in BOLD
- number of records in this clade in the Barcode Of Life Database (BOLD)
- Number of records in BOLD
- number of records for taxa in this clade in the Barcode of Life Database (BOLD)
- Number of records in GBIF
- number of records for taxa in this clade in the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF)
- Number of references in BHL
- number of references to taxa in this clade in the Biodiversity Heritage Library
- Number of rich pages on EOL
- number of species in this clade with richness >= 0.4 on EOL
- Number of sequences in GenBank
- number of sequences for taxa in this clade in GenBank
- Onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- Records in BOLD?
- this clade is represented by geo-referenced data in the Barcode of Life Database (BOLD)
- Records in GBIF?
- this clade is represented by geo-referenced data in the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF)
- References in BHL?
- this clade is represented in the literature in the Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL)
- Rich EOL page?
- at least one page in this clade with richness>=0.4 on eol
- Testes are located outside of the body, suspended by the spermatic cord within the scrotum.
- Sequences in GenBank?
- this clade is represented by gene sequences in GenBank
- Specimens in GGBN?
- this clade is represented by specimens in the Global Genome Biodiversity Network (GGBN)
- Testis location
- Anatomical location of testis; eg: internal, descended, scrotal, inguinal.
- Total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- Weaning age
- Age when primary nutritional dependency on the mother ends and independent foraging begins to make a major contribution to the offspring’s energy requirements.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
- This statement is true; the answer to this question is yes.
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
|Trait||Values||Record Count||Taxa Count|
|Age at first birth||3.0 to 3.0 years||1||1|
|Body length (VT)||69.79 cm to 1.3 m||4||4|
|Onset of fertility||1.73 to 3.0 years||9||4|
|Dispersal age||1.0 to 2.5 years||3||3|
|Body mass||275.0 g to 63.37 kg||12||4|
|Weight||275.0 g to 63.0 kg||10||4|
|Inter-birth interval||237.0 days to 1.46 years||6||3|
|Total life span||17.0 to 41.1 years||4||4|
|Weaning age||118.93 days to 1.02 years||8||4|
|Gestation period duration||90.5 to 112.33 days||4||4|
|Total life span||20.0 to 41.1 years||4||4|
|Age at eye opening||7.03 to 14.0 days||2||2|
|Clutch/brood/litter size||1.91 to 2.64||8||4|
|Litters per year||0.91 to 1.36||3||3|
|Litters per year||0.4 to 1.0 per year||2||2|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!