Data about Molossidae
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
Evolution and Systematics
Database and Repository Coverage
Glossary for Molossidae
- Age at first birth
- Age at which females give birth to their first litter, or their young attach to teats or hatch out
- Body length (VT)
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the body of an organism.
- Body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- Clutch/brood/litter size
- Single birth offspring quantity. The proportion or number of offspring produced from a single pregnancy (mammals) or ovulation (fish) or nesting (birds).
- A taxon that is extant is still living today. A taxon that is not extant is extinct.
- First Appearance (Earliest Interval)
- The earliest interval in which the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record falls.
- First Appearance (Latest Interval)
- The latest interval in which the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record falls.
- First Appearance (Older Bound)
- The older bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- First Appearance (Younger Bound)
- The younger bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Forelimb length
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the anterior/superior jointed appendages used for locomotion or grasping.
- Gestation period duration
- The length of time between when a fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus and the birth of offspring.
- Inter-birth interval
- The length of time between successive births of a female.
- Last Appearance (Earliest Interval)
- The earliest interval in which the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record falls.
- Last Appearance (Latest Interval)
- The latest interval in which the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record falls.
- Last Appearance (Older Bound)
- The older bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Litters per year
- Number of litters per female per year
- Million years ago
- Megaannum, Ma. A unit of time equal to one million (10^6) years.
- This statement is false; the answer to this question is no.
- Number of articles on EOL
- number of articles for taxa in this clade on EOL
- Number of images on EOL
- number of images of taxa in this clade on EOL
- Number of media on EOL
- number of images+videos+audio files of taxa in this clade on EOL
- Number of public records in BOLD
- number of records in this clade in the Barcode Of Life Database (BOLD)
- Number of records in BOLD
- number of records for taxa in this clade in the Barcode of Life Database (BOLD)
- Number of records in GBIF
- number of records for taxa in this clade in the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF)
- Number of references in BHL
- number of references to taxa in this clade in the Biodiversity Heritage Library
- Number of rich pages on EOL
- number of species in this clade with richness >= 0.4 on EOL
- Number of sequences in GenBank
- number of sequences for taxa in this clade in GenBank
- Onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- Records in BOLD?
- this clade is represented by geo-referenced data in the Barcode of Life Database (BOLD)
- Records in GBIF?
- this clade is represented by geo-referenced data in the Global Biodiversity Information Facility (GBIF)
- References in BHL?
- this clade is represented in the literature in the Biodiversity Heritage Library (BHL)
- Rich EOL page?
- at least one page in this clade with richness>=0.4 on eol
- Specimens in GGBN?
- this clade is represented by specimens in the Global Genome Biodiversity Network (GGBN)
- Total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- Weaning age
- Age when primary nutritional dependency on the mother ends and independent foraging begins to make a major contribution to the offspring’s energy requirements.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
- This statement is true; the answer to this question is yes.
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
|Trait||Values||Record Count||Taxa Count|
|Inter-birth interval||1.0 to 1.0 years||1||1|
|Age at first birth||152.08 days to 1.25 years||4||4|
|Onset of fertility||103.46 days to 1.5 years||9||7|
|Gestation period duration||62.57 to 107.97 days||10||10|
|Total life span||5.0 to 15.0 years||2||2|
|Forelimb length||2.75 to 8.15 cm||77||77|
|Weaning age||24.5 to 72.83 days||10||10|
|Body length (VT)||2.0 to 8.4 cm||15||13|
|Total life span||12.0 to 13.0 years||2||2|
|Weight||2.06 to 35.0 g||5||3|
|Body mass||1.24 to 169.43 g||100||80|
|Litters per year||1.0 to 1.0 per year||2||2|
|Litters per year||1.0 to 3.0||25||25|
|Clutch/brood/litter size||0.98 to 1.22||44||41|