Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Drosophila hydei
Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Drosophila hydei
Public Records: 5
Specimens with Barcodes: 34
Species With Barcodes: 1
Drosophila hydei is a species of Diptera, or the order of flies, in the family Drosophilidae. It is a species in the hydei species subgroup, a group in the repleta species group. Bizarrely, it is also known for having approximately 23mm long sperm, 10 times the length of the male's body.
Hydei are one of the more popular flies used as feeders in the pet trade. A few varieties are available, some flightless.
- Greg S. Spicer, Scott Pitnick (1996). "Molecular Systematics of the Drosophila hydei Subgroup as Inferred from Mitochondrial DNA Sequences". J Mol Evol 43 (3): 281–286. doi:10.1007/BF02338836. PDF
- Pitnick, S., and Markow, T.A. (1994). "Large-male advantages associated with costs of sperm production in Drosophila hydei, a species with giant sperm". Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 91: 9277–9281. doi:10.1073/pnas.91.20.9277.
- H. D. Berendes (1965). "Salivary gland function and chromosomal puffing patterns in Drosophila hydei". Chromosoma 17 (1): 35–77. doi:10.1007/BF00285155.
- H. D. Berendes and H. G. Keyl (1967). "Distribution of DNA in Heterochromatin and Euchromatin of Polytene Nuclei of Drosophila hydei". Genetics 57 (1): 1–13. PDF
- J. B. Boyd, H. D. Berendes and H. Boyd (1968). "Mass Preparation of Nuclei from the Larval Salivary Glands of Drosophila hydei". Journal of Cell Biology 38: 369–376. doi:10.1083/jcb.38.2.369. PDF
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Drosophila repleta hydei.|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!