Vascular Plant Associates on Kangaroo Island, Australia
The Drooping Sheoak (Allocasuarina verticillata) is a major element of the tree canopy of Kangaroo Island. The island, lying within the Indian Ocean off of Australia's southern coast, is classified as part of the Mount Lofty woodlands ecoregion, and is part of Australia's mediterranean climate zone. Other prominent trees on the island include Sugar Gum (Eucalyptus cladocalyx), which is native to Australia, and other mixed eucalypt species.
Some major endemic vascular plants of Kangaroo Island are:Gland Flower (Adenanthos terminalis), Kangaroo Island Mallee Ash (Eucalyptus remota), Woolly Bush (Adenanthos sericeus), Kangaroo Island Conesticks (Petrophile multisecta), Kangaroo Island Spider Orchid (Caladenia ovata), and the near-endemic Gland Flower (Adenanthos terminalis).
The Beyeria Conservation Park on Kangaroo Island features an assembly of rare plants that thrive on the laterite soils in this location. Important endemics here include the Kangaroo Island Turpentine Bush (Beyeria subtecta), Rough Spider Flower (Grevillea muricata), Small-flowered Daisy-bush (Olearia microdisca), and the near-endemic Kangaroo Island Turpentine Bush (Beyeria subtecta).
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Allocasuarina verticillata
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Allocasuarina verticillata
Public Records: 3
Specimens with Barcodes: 4
Species With Barcodes: 1
Allocasuarina verticillata, commonly known as drooping she-oak or drooping sheoak, is a nitrogen fixing native tree of southeastern Australia. Originally collected in Tasmania and described as Casuarina verticillata by French naturalist Jean-Baptiste Lamarck in 1786, it was moved to its current genus in 1982 by Australian botanist Lawrie Johnson.
It grows as a small tree with a rounded habit, reaching 4–10 metres (12–35 ft) in height.
The species occurs in Australian Capital Territory, New South Wales, South Australia, Tasmania, and Victoria.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Allocasuarina verticillata.|
- "Synonyms of drooping she-oak (Allocasuarina verticillata)". Encyclopedia of Life. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- "Common names for drooping she-oak (Allocasuarina verticillata)". Encyclopedia of Life. Retrieved 2014-04-05.
- "Allocasuarina verticillata". Retrieved 2008-10-26.
- "Allocasuarina littoralis (Salisb.) L.A.S.Johnson". Australian Plant Name Index. Australian National Botanic Gardens. Retrieved 2014-03-29.
- Crowley, GM; Garnett S (2001). "Food value and tree selection by Glossy Black-Cockatoos Calyptorhynchus lathami". Austral Ecology 26 (1): 116–26. doi:10.1046/j.1442-9993.2001.01093.x.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!