Foodplant / open feeder
larva (later) of Adscita geryon grazes on live leaf of Helianthemum
Remarks: season: summer+
Foodplant / open feeder
larva (later) of Aricia agestis grazes on live leaf of Helianthemum
Remarks: season: summer & autumn-spring
Foodplant / gall
larva of Contarinia helianthemi causes gall of shoot tip of Helianthemum
Other: sole host/prey
Foodplant / feeds on
adult of Cryptocephalus aureolus feeds on pollen of Helianthemum
Remarks: season: (4-)5-6(-9)
Plant / resting place / on
adult of Cryptocephalus bipunctatus may be found on flower of Helianthemum
Remarks: season: 4-late 8
Plant / resting place / on
adult of Cryptocephalus hypochaeridis may be found on Helianthemum
Remarks: season: 4-9
Foodplant / miner
larva of Mantura matthewsi mines live leaf of Helianthemum
Remarks: season: summer
Foodplant / miner
larva (2nd gen) of Mompha miscella mines live leaf of Helianthemum
Remarks: season: autumn-spring
Foodplant / parasite
immersed oospore of Peronospora leptoclada parasitises fading leaf of Helianthemum
Foodplant / spot causer
pycnidium of Septoria coelomycetous anamorph of Septoria chamaecysti causes spots on live leaf of Helianthemum
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:48
Specimens with Barcodes:26
Species With Barcodes:23
Helianthemum //, known as rock rose, sunrose, rushrose, or frostweed, is a genus of about 110 species of flowering plants in the family Cistaceae. They are widely distributed throughout the Northern Hemisphere, especially in the Mediterranean. There are New World species, but it has been proposed that these be transferred to genus Crocanthemum.
These are usually shrubs or subshrubs, and some are annual or perennial herbs. The leaves are oppositely arranged, but some plants may have alternately arranged leaves along the upper stems. The flowers are solitary or borne in an array of inflorescence types, such as panicles, racemes, or headlike clusters. The flower has three inner sepals and two smaller outer sepals. It has five petals usually in shades of yellow, orange, or pink. The style at the center is tipped with a large stigma. The fruit is a capsule containing many seeds.
Helianthemum are known to form symbioses with mycorrhizal fungi. In the Mediterranean they are associated with Terfeziaceae, the desert truffles. Together, plant and fungus may have a beneficial effect on the arid local landscapes, preventing soil erosion and desertification. Some symbiotic pairs include Helianthemum salicifolium and the truffle Tirmania nivea, and H. guttatum and T. pinoyi.
One of the most commonly observed mycorrhizae on Helianthemum is a member of a different family, Cenococcum geophilum. This fungus is not host-specific, and it often associates with oaks, as well. Some studies suggest that Helianthemum and oaks growing together in a habitat may "share" their mycorrhizae.
Helianthemum are food plants for the larvae of some Lepidoptera species, such as the Large Grizzled Skipper. The leaf miners Bucculatrix helianthemi and B. regaella both feed exclusively on Helianthemum sessiliflorum, as does Coleophora eupreta. C. ochrea is limited to Helianthemum, and C. bilineella and C. potentillae have been observed on the genus.
Several Helianthemum species, and the numerous hybrids and cultivars derived from them, are widely grown as ornamental plants, popular in rockeries. A broader range of colours is available among the cultivars, including bright salmon-pink to dark red. They are best grown in well-drained soil in full sun, and have a long flowering period from spring to summer. Numerous cultivars have gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit:
- Helianthemum aegyptiacum
- Helianthemum almeriense
- Helianthemum apenninum – white rockrose
- Helianthemum asperum
- Helianthemum canariense
- Helianthemum canum – hoary rockrose
- Helianthemum caput-felis
- Helianthemum cinereum
- Helianthemum coulteri
- Helianthemum croceum
- Helianthemum greenei (syn. Crocanthemum grrenei) – island rushrose
- Helianthemum guerrae
- Helianthemum hirsutissimum
- Helianthemum hirtum
- Helianthemum hymettium
- Helianthemum jonium
- Helianthemum kahiricum
- Helianthemum lavandulifolium
- Helianthemum ledifolium
- Helianthemum leptophyllum
- Helianthemum lipii
- Helianthemum lunulatum
- Helianthemum marifolium
- Helianthemum morisianum
- Helianthemum nummularium – common rockrose
- Helianthemum oelandicum – alpine rockrose (syn. Helianthemum montanum)
- Helianthemum oelandicum subsp. alpestre (syn. H. alpestre)
- Helianthemum oelandicum subsp. italicum (syn. H. italicum)
- Helianthemum oelandicum subsp. oelandicum
- Helianthemum oelandicum subsp. orientale (syn. H. orientale)
- Helianthemum oelandicum subsp. rupifragum (syn. H. rupifragum)
- Helianthemum origanifolium
- Helianthemum pannosum
- Helianthemum papillare
- Helianthemum piliferum
- Helianthemum pilosum
- Helianthemum rossmaessler
- Helianthemum salicifolium
- Helianthemum sanguineum
- Helianthemum scoparium (syn. Crocanthemum scoparium) – rushrose
- Helianthemum sessiliflorum
- Helianthemum songaricum
- Helianthemum spartioides
- Helianthemum squamatum
- Helianthemum stipulatum
- Helianthemum villosum
- Helianthemum virgatum
- Helianthemum viscarium
- Helianthemum viscidulum
- Sunset Western Garden Book. 1995. 606–07.
- Helianthemum. Integrated Taxonomic Information System (ITIS).
- Helianthemum. Flora of China.
- Sorrie, B. A. (2011). Transfer of North American Helianthemum to Crocanthemum (Cistaceae): New combinations. Phytologia 93(2), 270-71.
- Díez, J., et al. (2002). Molecular phylogeny of the mycorrhizal desert truffles (Terfezia and Tirmania), host specificity and edaphic tolerance. Mycologia 94(2), 247-59.
- Dickie, I. A., et al. (2004). Shared ectomycorrhizal fungi between a herbaceous perennial (Helianthemum bicknellii) and oak (Quercus) seedlings. New Phytologist 164(2), 375-82.
- RHS A-Z Encyclopedia of Garden Plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Helianthemum 'Amy Baring'". Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Helianthemum 'Henfield Brilliant'". Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Helianthemum 'Jubilee'". Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Helianthemum 'Mrs C.W. Earle'". Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Helianthemum 'Rhodanthe Carneum'". Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Helianthemum 'The Bride'". Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Helianthemum 'Wisley Primrose'". Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- GRIN Species Records of Helianthemum. Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN).
- Helianthemum. The Plant List.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!