Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Echeveria sp.
Public Records: 0
Specimens with Barcodes: 10
Species With Barcodes: 1
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimen Records: 96
Specimens with Sequences: 241
Specimens with Barcodes: 175
Species With Barcodes: 67
Public Records: 4
Public Species: 4
Echeveria is a large genus of flowering plants in the Crassulaceae family, native to semi-desert areas of Central America, from Mexico to northwestern South America. The genus is named after the 18th century Mexican botanical artist Atanasio Echeverría y Godoy.
Plants may be evergreen or deciduous. Flowers on short stalks (cymes) arise from compact rosettes of succulent fleshy, often brightly coloured leaves. Species are polycarpic, meaning that they may flower and set seed many times over the course of their lifetimes. Often numerous offsets are produced, and are commonly known as "hen and chicks", which can also refer to other genera, such as Sempervivum, that are significantly different from Echeveria.
Many Echeveria species are popular as ornamental garden plants. They are drought-resistant, although they do better with regular deep watering and fertilizing. Most will tolerate shade and some frost, although hybrids tend to be less tolerant. Most lose their lower leaves in winter; as a result, after a few years, the plants lose their attractive, compact appearance and need to be re-rooted or propagated. In addition, if not removed, the shed leaves may decay, harboring fungus that can then infect the plant.
Cultivars and Hybrids
- Dudleya anthonyi (as E. anthonyi)
- Dudleya arizonica Rose (as E. arizonica (Rose) Kearney & Peebles)
- Dudleya attenuata (as E. attenuata and E. edulis var. attenuata)
- Dudleya caespitosa (as E. californica, E. cotyledon, E. helleri, and E. laxa)
- Dudleya candida (as E. candida)
- Dudleya cultrata (as E. cultrata)
- Dudleya cymosa (Lem.) Britton & Rose (as E. cymosa Lem.)
- Dudleya edulis (as E. edulis)
- Dudleya pulverulenta ssp. pulverulenta (as E. argentea and E. pulverulenta)
- Dudleya saxosa ssp. collomiae (as E. collomiae)
- Graptopetalum paraguayense (N.E.Br.) E.Walther (as E. weinbergii hort. ex T.B.Sheph.)
- Pachyveria clavifolia (as E. clavifolia)
- "Genus: Echeveria DC.". Germplasm Resources Information Network. United States Department of Agriculture. 2003-06-13. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- "Echeveria". Integrated Taxonomic Information System. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "GRIN Species Records of Echeveria". Germplasm Resources Information Network. United States Department of Agriculture. Retrieved 2011-10-21.
- "RHS Plant Selector – Echeveria "Perle von Nürnberg"". Retrieved 18 June 2013.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!