Localities documented in Tropicos sources
United States (North America)
Note: This information is based on publications available through Tropicos and may not represent the entire distribution. Tropicos does not categorize distributions as native or non-native.
Encelia is a genus of the plant family Asteraceae. It consists of shrubs (and one geophyte) of arid environments in southwestern North America and western South America. All have n = 18 chromosomes. With the exception of the South American species, all are obligate outcrossers. In cultivation, the species readily form fertile F1 hybrids, F2s, and backcrosses, but in natural areas of sympatry, F2s and backcrosses are absent or rare.
- Encelia actoni Elmer
- Encelia asperifolia (S.F.Blake) C. Clark & Kyhos
- Encelia californica Nutt.
- Encelia canescens Lam.
- Encelia conspersa Benth.
- Encelia densifolia C. Clark & Kyhos
- Encelia farinosa Torr. & A.Gray var. farinosa - Brittlebush
- Encelia frutescens A.Gray ssp. frutescens
- Encelia halimifolia Cav.
- Encelia nutans Eastwood
- Encelia palmeri Vasey & Rose
- Encelia ravenii Wiggins
- Encelia resinifera C. Clark ssp. resinifera
- Encelia ventorum T.S. Brandegee
- Encelia virginensis A. Nels.