Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||5||Public Records:||5|
|Specimens with Sequences:||5||Public Species:||3|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||5||Public BINs:||0|
|Species With Barcodes:||3|
Jaltomata is a genus of plants in the Solanaceae. According to molecular phylogenies, Jaltomata is the sister genus to Solanum, which includes tomato, potato, and eggplant.  Jaltomata has a neotropical distribution, in that species occur from the United States southwest through Latin America, and into the Andean region of South America. Species encompass a wide range of vegetative and reproductive trait variation, including growth habit (trailing herbs, erect herbs, and woody shrubs), floral size, shape and color, as well as fruit size and color. Species may be most notable for their fruits, some of which are eaten by humans in Latin and South America. Depending on the species, fruits may be red, green, orange, or dark purple.
There has been some discussion over the correct pronunciation of the name. Mexican botanists generally pronounce the "J" as the "J" in Mexican Spanish, i.e., similar to the English "H" but in fact more guttural, more like the German "ch." Many US botanists pronounce it as an "H" in imitation of the Mexican pronunciation. The original author, Schlechtendal, was German so presumably would have pronounced it as an English "Y."
Currently accepted species:
- Jaltomata antillana (Krug & Urb.) D'Arcy
- Jaltomata andersonii T. Mione
- Jaltomata aspera (Ruiz & Pav.) T. Mione & F. G. Coe
- Jaltomata auriculata (Miers) Mione
- Jaltomata aypatensis S. Leiva, Mione & Quipuscoa
- Jaltomata bernardelloana S. Leiva & Mione
- Jaltomata bicolor (Ruiz & Pav.) Mione
- Jaltomata biflora (Ruiz & Pav.) Benítez
- Jaltomata bohsiana Mione & D.M. Spooner
- Jaltomata cajacayensis S. Leiva & T. Mione
- Jaltomata cajamarca T. Mione
- Jaltomata calliantha S. Leiva & T. Mione
- Jaltomata chihuahuensis (Bitter) Mione & Bye
- Jaltomata confinis (C.V. Morton) J.L. Gentry
- Jaltomata contorta (Ruiz & Pav.) Mione
- Jaltomata cuyasensis S. Leiva, Quipuscoa & Sawyer
- Jaltomata dentata (Ruiz & Pav.) Benitez
- Jaltomata diversa (J.F. Macbr.) Mione
- Jaltomata glandulosa (Miers) Castillo & R.E. Schult.
- Jaltomata grandiflora (B.L. Rob. & Greenm.) D'Arcy, Mione & Davis
- Jaltomata herrerae (C.V. Morton) Mione
- Jaltomata lezamae S. Leiva & Mione
- Jaltomata lojae Mione
- Jaltomata mionei S. Leiva & Quipuscoa
- Jaltomata nitida (Bitter) Mione
- Jaltomata paneroi Mione & S. Leiva
- Jaltomata procumbens (Cav.) J.L.Gentry
- Jaltomata propinqua (Miers) Mione & M. Nee
- Jaltomata repandidentata (Dunal) Hunz.
- Jaltomata salpoensis S. Leiva & Mione
- Jaltomata sanctae-martae Benitez
- Jaltomata sinuosa (Miers) Mione
- Jaltomata umbellata (Ruiz & Pav.) Mione & M. Nee
- Jaltomata ventricosa (Baker) Mione
- Jaltomata vestita (Miers) Castillo & R.E. Schult.
- Jaltomata viridiflora (Kunth) M. Nee & Mione
- Jaltomata weberbaueri (Dammer) T. Mione & F. G. Coe
- Jaltomata werffii D'Arcy
- Jaltomata whalenii S. Knapp, Mione & Sagást.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!