Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Cephus cinctus
There are 2 barcode sequences available from BOLD and GenBank. Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species. See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Cephus cinctus
Public Records: 2
Specimens with Barcodes: 7
Species With Barcodes: 1
Habit and habitat
The adult fly grows to a length of 7 to 12 mm. Males are considerably smaller than females. However, they are delicate and short lived.
It is known as a chronic pest in Northern Great Plains of the USA and also an important pest of wheat in the Canadian Prairies. The species is distributed widely in various regions of the USA and Canada.
- "Animal Diversity Web". University of Michigan, Museum of Zoology.
- "Sawflies: the wheat stem sawfly Cephus Cinctus and relatives".
- "Diagnostic Methods for Wheat-stem sawfly". plant biosecurity ToolBox.
- Cárcamo, Héctor; Entz, Toby; Beres, Brian (2007). "Estimating Cephus cinctus wheat stem cutting damage – can we cut stem counts?". Journal of Agricultural and Urban Entomology 24 (3): 117–124.
- Holmes, N. D. "The effect of the wheat stem sawfly, Cephus cinctus (Hymenoptera: Cephidae), on the yield and quality of wheat." The Canadian Entomologist 109.12 (1977): 1591-1598.
- Holmes, N. D. "Population dynamics of the wheat stem sawfly, Cephus cinctus (Hymenoptera: Cephidae), in wheat." The Canadian Entomologist 114.09 (1982): 775-788.
- Holmes, N. D., and L. K. Peterson. "Resistance of Spring Wheats to the Wheat Stem Sawfly, Cephus cinctus Nort.(Hymenoptera: Cephidae): I. Resistance to the Egg." The Canadian Entomologist 93.04 (1961): 250-260.
- RJ et al, Bartelt (Feb 2002). "Cuticular hydrocarbons and novel alkenediol iacetates from wheat stem sawfly (Cephus cinctus): natural oxidation to pheromone components.". Journal of Chemical Ecology 28 (2). pp. 385–405.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!