Regularity: Regularly occurring
Catalog Number: US 1630760
Collection: Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, Department of Botany
Verification Degree: Card file verified by examination of alleged type specimen
Preparation: Pressed specimen
Collector(s): C. Wright
Year Collected: 1851
Locality: New Mexico, United States, North America
- Isotype: Watson, S. 1875. Proc. Amer. Acad. Arts. 10: 349.
Habitat & Distribution
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Platanus wrightii
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Platanus wrightii
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 1
Species With Barcodes: 1
National NatureServe Conservation Status
Rounded National Status Rank: NNR - Unranked
Platanus wrightii (Arizona Sycamore, also in Spanish Álamo), is a sycamore tree native to Arizona and New Mexico with its range extending south into the Mexican states of Sonora, Chihuahua, and Sinaloa.
The tree is a large deciduous tree, growing up to 70 ft.
The Arizona Sycamore is a tree of central Arizona's transition zone in the Mogollon Rim–White Mountains. The range extends into southwest New Mexico and parts of Sonora, Chihuahua, and Sinaloa in Mexico. In Arizona the range extends south towards northern Sonora. The range in southeast Arizona is a northeasterly part of the Sonoran Desert, and is at the northern region of the Sierra Madre Occidental cordillera.
Arizona Sycamore is prevalent in riparian areas of the Madrean Sky Islands, mountain sky islands in southeast Arizona, extreme southwest, Bootheel region of New Mexico, northeastern Sonora, and extreme northwest Chihuahua). The species is more prevalent west of the Madrean Sky Islands region, still in the central and northeast Sonoran Desert, an area around the Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument at the Arizona-Sonora border, with the species range extending in Sonora in the Occidentals, or its western foothills. Scattered reports have been made farther east in the Sierra Madre Occidental.
- The Plant List
- Lady Bird Johnson WildFlower database
- Laferriere, J.E. Platanaceae, Sycamore or Plane Tree Family. Journal of the Arizona-Nevada Academy of Science 26: 238. 1992
- Little. Atlas of United States Trees, Volume 3, Minor Western Hardwoods, Map 113, Platanus wrightii
- Little, Map 113, Platanus wrightii
- Little. Atlas of United States Trees, Volume 3, Minor Western Hardwoods, Little, Elbert L, 1976, US Government Printing Office. Library of Congress No. 79-653298. Map 113, Platanus wrightii.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!