Data about <i>Arctostaphylos virgata</i>
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
Native range includes
|Lower 48 United States of America||USDA NRCS PLANTS Database|
Life History and Behavior
Glossary for Arctostaphylos virgata
- A shrubland area found primarily in regions with a Mediterranean climate (mid, wet winters and hot dry summers) often shaped by wildfires.
- The general region of indefinite width that extends from the sea inland to the first major change in terrain features.
- An area with a high density of trees. A small forest may be called a wood.
- The natural environment in which an organism lives, or the physical environment that surrounds (influences and is utilized by) a species population.
- Habitat. (2013, August 9). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 19:01, August 14, 2013, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Habitat&oldid=567783959
- A rounded elevation of limited extent rising above the surrounding land with local relief of less than 300m.
- Life cycle habit
- Determined for type of life cycle being annual, binneal, perennial etc.
- Native range includes
- Lists jurisdictions in which a given organism is a member of the undisturbed fauna or flora.
- Of plant duration, a plant whose life span extends over more than two growing seasons, c.f. annual, biennial, ephemeral, of flowering with respect to architecture, hapaxanthic, monocarpic, pleonanthic
- Stevens, P. F. (2001 onwards). Angiosperm Phylogeny Website. Version 12, July 2012. Glossary: http://www.mobot.org/mobot/research/apweb/top/glossaryi_p.html#perennial
- Plant growth habit
- The general growth form of a plant - its size and branching - also its woodiness. Some plants have different growth habits depending on environment or location, so a plant can have more than one value.
- Stevens, P. F. (2001 onwards). Angiosperm Phylogeny Website. Version 12, July 2012. Glossary: http://www.mobot.org/mobot/research/apweb/top/glossarya_h.html#habit
- Area covered with low-growing or stunted perennial vegetation and usually not mixed with trees.
- Perennial, multi-stemmed woody plant that is usually less than 4 to 5 meters (13 to 16 feet) in height. Shrubs typically have several stems arising from or near the ground, but may be taller than 5 meters or single-stemmed under certain environmental conditions.
- PLANTS Database Growth Habits Codes and Definitions: https://plants.usda.gov/growth_habits_def.html
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!