Water temperature and chemistry ranges based on 1 sample.
Depth range (m): 0 - 380
Temperature range (°C): 24.695 - 24.695
Nitrate (umol/L): 0.008 - 0.008
Salinity (PPS): 34.997 - 34.997
Oxygen (ml/l): 4.878 - 4.878
Phosphate (umol/l): 0.122 - 0.122
Silicate (umol/l): 1.242 - 1.242
Depth range (m): 0 - 380
Note: this information has not been validated. Check this *note*. Your feedback is most welcome.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:148
Specimens with Barcodes:148
Species With Barcodes:2
In 2014, a careful DNA and anatomical study of the genus unexpectedly revealed the presence of a species complex. Only one species was found in the Atlantic, but the name Glaucus marginatus was revealed to include four separate species. There are three species in the North Pacific Subtropical Gyre System and another species in the South Pacific Subtropical Gyre System. Glaucus atlanticus also occurs throughout the Indo-Pacific as well as in the Atlantic Ocean. In the North Pacific are Glaucus marginatus, Glaucus thompsoni and Glaucus mcfarlanei, with Glaucus marginatus also occurring in the Indian Ocean and the South Pacific. Also in the South Pacific is Glaucus bennettae.
Glaucus atlanticus has some genetic differences in different parts of its range but is considered to be a single species 
Species within the genus Glaucus include:
- Glaucus atlanticus Forster, 1777
- Glaucus bennettae Churchill, Valdés & Ó Foighil, 2014
- Glaucus mcfarlanei Churchill, Valdés & Ó Foighil, 2014
- Glaucus marginatus (Bergh, 1860)
- Glaucus thompsoni Churchill, Valdés & Ó Foighil, 2014
- Species brought into synonymy
- Glaucus distichoicus d'Orbigny, 1837: synonym of Glaucus atlanticus Forster, 1777
- Glaucus flagellum Blumenblach, 1803: synonym of Glaucus atlanticus Forster, 1777
- Glaucus hexapterigius Cuvier, 1805: synonym of Glaucus atlanticus Forster, 1777
- Glaucus lineatus Reinhardt & Bergh, 1864: synonym of Glaucus atlanticus Forster, 1777
- Glaucus longicirrhus Reinhardt & Bergh, 1864: synonym of Glaucus atlanticus Forster, 1777
- Bouchet, P.; Gofas, S. (2013). Glaucus Forster, 1777. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species on 2013-07-17
- Valdés A. & Campillo O.A. (2004) Systematics of pelagic aeolid nudibranchs of the family Glaucidae (Mollusca, Gastropoda). Bulletin of Marine Science 75(3): 381–389
- Churchill, C. K. C.; Valdés, Á; Ó Foighil, D. (2014). Molecular and morphological systematics of neustonic nudibranchs (Mollusca : Gastropoda : Glaucidae : Glaucus), with descriptions of three new cryptic species. Invertebrate Systematics. 28(2): 174-195.
- Churchill, C.K., Alejandrino, A., Valdés, Á. & Ó Foighil, D. 2013. Parallel changes in genital morphology delineate cryptic diversification of planktonic nudibranchs. Proceedings of the Royal Society B. 280:20131224. http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2013.1224
- Churchill, C.K., Valdés, Á. & Ó Foighil, D. 2014. Afro-Eurasia and the Americas present barriers to gene flow for the cosmopolitan neustonic nudibranch Glaucus atlanticus. Marine Biology, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s00227-014-2389-7
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!