Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Nepeta faassenii
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Nepeta faassenii
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 1
Species With Barcodes: 1
Nepeta × faassenii
It is an herbaceous perennial, with oval, opposite, intricately-veined, gray—green leaves, on square stems. The foliage is fragrant. It grows from 1–2 feet (30–61 cm) tall by 1–3 feet (30–91 cm) wide.
The plant produces small but showy, abundant, two-lipped, trumpet-shaped, soft lavender flowers, from spring through autumn. Continued blooming is encouraged by deadheading spent flowers. The seeds are predominantly sterile, and so the plant will not reseed as an invasive species, unlike some other nepeta species.
Nepeta × faassenii is cultivated for its attractive aromatic foliage and masses of blue flowers, as groundcover, border edging, or in pots or rock gardens. It is drought tolerant, and can be deer resistant. It has gained the Royal Horticultural Society's Award of Garden Merit.
Numerous cultivars are available in the trade.
- 'Walker's Low' — silver grey foliage, lavender blue flowers, 2–2.5 feet (61–76 cm) tall by 2.5–3 feet (76–91 cm) wide, 2007 "Perennial of the Year" (by Perennial Plant Association).
- 'Jr. Walker' TM — PP 23,074, compact induced mutant of Walker low, small silver grey foliage, small lavender blue flowers, 1 foot (0.30 m) tall by 2.5–3 feet (76–91 cm) wide, 2013 "Top Performer" (by Colorado State University Perennial Trial Garden). Bred by NovaFlora LLC, introduced by Star Roses & Plants 
- 'Blue Wonder' — blue flowers, "Missouri Botanical Garden Plant of Merit".
- 'Select Blue' — noticeably bluer flowers, 15–18 inches (38–46 cm) wide.
- 'Six Hills Giant' — periwinkle blue flowers, 2–3 feet (61–91 cm) tall.
- Missouri Botanical Garden: Nepeta × faassenii . accessed 1.10.2013
- High Country Gardens: Nepeta × faassenii 'Select Blue' . accessed 1.10.2013
- RHS A-Z encyclopedia of garden plants. United Kingdom: Dorling Kindersley. 2008. p. 1136. ISBN 1405332964.
- "RHS Plant Selector - Nepeta x faassenii". Retrieved 25 May 2013.
- Fine Gardening Plant Guide: Nepeta × faassenii 'Walker's Low' . accessed 1.10.2013
- Missouri Botanical Garden: Nepeta × faassenii 'Walker's Low' . accessed 1.102013
- Walters Gardens: Nepeta × faassenii 'Six Hills Giant' . 1.10.2013
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Nepeta × faassenii.|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!