Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Chromodoris elisabethina
Public Records: 0
Specimens with Barcodes: 1
Species With Barcodes: 1
This species was described from Burias Island in the Philippines. It is found in the central area of the Indo-Pacific region from Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Queensland, Australia to the southern part of Japan.
Chromodoris elisabethina can reach a maximum size of 5 cm length. The body is elongate with a foot which is distinct from the upper body by a skirt like mantle partially hiding the foot. The branched gills and the rhinophores are orange to yellow and can be withdrawn into pockets under the skin in case of danger.
The main background colour is bluish, the intensity of the latter varying from blue-grey to intense blue. The blue dorsal side has a median black line which may be broken in some individuals and usually some short, finer parallel lines. These longitudinal lines are also present on the foot. The longitudinal discontinuous lines are distinctive of this species and allow the observer to differentiate it from other close species like Chromodoris lochi, Chromodoris willani and Chromodoris boucheti.
The mantle edge and the foot are bordered with white and orange to yellow lines in which the width and the colour intensity can vary greatly from a specimen to another. The blue colour of the body and the external margin is outlined by a black line.
- Bergh, L. S. R. 1877. Malacologische Untersuchungen. In: Reisen im Archipel der Philippinen von Dr. Carl Gottfried Semper. Zweiter Theil. Wissenschaftliche Resultate. Band 2, Theil 2, Heft 11, pp. 429- 494, pls. 54-57. page 466.
- Bouchet, P. (2014). Chromodoris elisabethina Bergh, 1877. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=527354 on 2015-02-12
- Rudman, W.B. 1982. The Chromodorididae (Opisthobranchia: Mollusca) of the Indo-West Pacific: Chromodoris quadricolor, C. lineolata and Hypselodoris nigrolineata colour groups. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society, 76: 183-241. page(s): 205
- Debelius, Helmut, 2001, Nudibranchs and Sea Snails: Indo-Pacific Field Guide, IKAN - Unterwasserarchiv, Frankfurt, Germany.
- P.L. Beesley, G.J.B. Ross, A. Wells, 1998. Mollusca - The southern synthesis, vol.5, CSIRO, ISBN 0-643-05756-0
- Behrens, D., 2012. Nudibranch Behaviour. New World Publications Inc., ISBN 1-878348-41-8
- Gary Cobb & Richard Willan, 2006. Undersea jewels - a colour guide to nudibranchs, Australian Biological Resources Study, ISBN 0642568472
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!