Joubin (1933) collected 18 young squid of this species but based his description on three specimens, 61 (arm tip to tail), 45 and 17 mm (tentacle tip to tail). All specimens, in spite of the rather large size, these are paralarvae that lack most subadult characteristics.
A mastigoteuthid ...
- with large tubercules in advanced paralarvae.
- with a fin that is longer than wide.
- Arm suckers without teeth.
Figure. Oral-oblique view of arm IV sucker of M. danae, specimen 1. Drawing from Joubin (1933).
- Stalk about 2 mm in length and slender.
- Club enlarged in diameter, ca. 7 mm long.
- Club tip slender, ca. 3 mm long, with sucker buds.
Figure. Lateral view of the club of specimen 2 of M. danae, 45 mm total length, ca. 20 mm ML (without tail). 16°N, 62°W. Drawing from Joubin (1933).
- Funnel pocket unknown.
- Funnel pocket unknown.
- Funnel locking-apparatus
- Funnel locking-apparatus with a very large tragus and a distinct antitragus.
- Mantle and Skin
- Mantle and other skin, except fins, covered with small, cartilagenous tubercules.
- Tubercules absent from a 17 mm total length specimen.
- Fins longer than broad.
- Long tail present in small paralarvae but nearly absent in large paralarvae.
- Photophores absent.
- Few chromatophores present.
Total length 61 mm to tip of arm IV 45 mm to tip of tentacle Mantle length (without fins) 25 mm Mantle length (with fins)* 46 mm Head width 17 mm Head length 7 mm Fin length 25 mm 11 mm* Fin width 17 mm 7 mm Arm I, length 3 mm Arm II, length 5 mm Arm III, length 4 mm Arm IV, length 14 mm Tail < 1 mm* 9 mm Tentacle length -- 45 mm
Figure. Funnel/mantle locking-apparatus of M. danae. Left - Ventral view of funnel component. Right - Dorsal view of mantle component. Drawings from Joubin (1933).
Figure. Left - Side view of the head of M. danae, ca 45 mm ML. Right - Shape of tubercules. A - External view. B - Side view. Drawings from Joubin (1933).
Figure. Fins and tail of M. danae, specimen 2 (ca. 20 mm ML, without tail). Drawing from Joubin (1933).
Type locality: North Atlantic; 34°40'N, 33°16'W, SE of the Azores; 16°03'N, 62°29'W near the Antilles; 30°51'N, 21°00'W east of the Canary Islands.
Salcedo-Vargas (1997) described four specimens (15-30 mm ML) from off Somalia, western Indian Ocean.
Habitat and Ecology
IUCN Red List Assessment
Red List Category
Red List Criteria
- Joubin, L. 1933. Notes préliminaires sur les Céphalopodes des croisières du Dana (1921-1922). 4e Partie. Annales de l'Institut Océanographique 13: 1-49.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!