Localities documented in Tropicos sources
Madagascar (Africa & Madagascar)
Colombia (South America)
Note: This information is based on publications available through Tropicos and may not represent the entire distribution. Tropicos does not categorize distributions as native or non-native.
- SPECIMEN BASED RECORD. Published protolog data. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/9990002
- Molina Rosito, A. 1975. Enumeración de las plantas de Honduras. Ceiba 19(1): 1–118. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/866
- Jacobsen, H. 1954. Handbuch der sukkulenten Pflanzen. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/36048
- Houghton, A. D. 1934. Kalanchoe blossfeldiana von Poellnitz. Cact. Succ. J. (Los Angeles) 6: 183–184. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/22077
- von Poellnitz, K. 1934. Kalanchoe blossfeldiana. Repert. Spec. Nov. Regni Veg. 35: 159–160. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/1006399
- Balick, M. J., M. Nee & D. E. Atha. 2000. Checklist of the vascular plants of Belize. Mem. New York Bot. Gard. 85: i–ix, 1–246. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/1014725
- Idárraga-Piedrahita, A., R. D. C. Ortiz, R. Callejas Posada & M. Merello. 2011. Flora de Antioquia. Catálogo de las Plantas Vasculares, vol. 2. Listado de las Plantas Vasculares del Departamento de Antioquia. Pp. 1-939. http://www.tropicos.org/Reference/100008595
Regularity: Regularly occurring
NatureServe Conservation Status
Rounded Global Status Rank: GNR - Not Yet Ranked
Kalanchoe blossfeldiana is a herbaceous and commonly cultivated house plant of the genus Kalanchoe native to Madagascar. It is known by the English common names Flaming Katy, Christmas Kalanchoe, Florist Kalanchoe and Madagascar widow's-thrill.
Taxonomy and naming
Kalanchoe blossfeldiana is in the Kalanchoe section of the Kalanchoe genus, with a description of the plant published in 1934 (Repert. Spec. Nov. Regni Veg. 35:159). With regards to the etymology of the binomial, the generic name Kalanchoe has been alleged to have originated "from the Chinese name for one of the species."  The Oxford English Dictionary states that it is "based on [the] Chinese gāláncài", whilst the Collins English Dictionary merely restates the claim that the generic name was derived form the local Chinese name for one of the species. The specific epithet blossfeldiana is in tribute to German hybridiser and botanist Robert Blossfeld, who first introduced the plant to the rest of the world in 1932. The common name Christmas Kalanchoe comes from the plant's flamboyant and colourful blooms in winter.
Kalanchoe blossfeldiana is a glabrous, bushy, evergreen and perennial succulent plant which (in 2–5 years) can reach an ultimate height of between 30–45 cm (12-18 in.) and an ultimate spread of between 10–50 cm (4-20 in.). K. blossfeldiana has a round habit and a moderate plant density; its growth rate has been described as 'slow'. The plant has green, shiny and textured glossy foliage which stays green all year round. The scallop-edged and ovate leaves leaves are arranged in an opposite/subopposite fashion, are simple in type with crenate margins and an oblong shape. The arrangement of the veins in a leaf (venation) can be absent or very hard to see; the leaf blades are 5–10 cm. (2-4 in.) long. K. blossfeldiana flowers in late autumn to early winter; each flower has four petals and can be one of a wide variety of colours, from the dark reds and pinks to oranges, golds and whites. The infloresences are born by peduncles which are higher up than the leaves and are terminal in nature.
Distribution and habitat
Kalanchoe blossfeldiana is native to Madagascar, where the plant can be found growing in the relatively cool plateaus of the Tsarantanana Mountains; K. blossfeldiana in this environment grows in humus soil.
- "Kalanchoe globulifera var. coccinea H. Perrier". The Plant List. Archived from the original on 6 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- F. Gilman, Edward. "FPS-309/FP309: Kalanchoe Blossfeldiana Kalanchoe". Electronic Data Information System. University of Florida. Archived from the original on 6 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- Vangorder, Ruth (5 May 2009). "Holiday Plants: How to Handle a Christmas Kalanchoe". Yahoo Voices. Yahoo!. Archived from the original on 6 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Detailed information on Flaming Katy, Christmas Kalanchoe, Florist Kalanchoe Kalanchoe blossfeldiana". PlantFiles. Dave's Garden. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Plants Profile for Kalanchoe blossfeldiana (Madagascar widow's-thrill)". PLANTS Database. United States Department of Agriculture's Natural Resources Conservation Service. Archived from the original on 6 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Kalanchoe blossfeldiana information from NPGS/GRIN". Germplasm Resources Information Network. United States Department of Agriculture. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Baldwin Jr., J. T. (October 1938). "Kalanchoe: The Genus and its Chromosomes". American Journal of Botany 25 (8): 572–579. doi:10.2307/2436516. JSTOR 2436516
- "kalanchoe". Oxford English Dictionary. Oxford University Press. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "kalanchoe". Collins English Dictionary. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Kalanchoe blossfeldiana information". Plants by name. Flowers.org.uk. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- Lemke, Carl (23 December 2005). "Kalanchoe blossfeldiana - Christmas Kalanchoe - Crassulaceae". University of Oklahoma Department of Microbiology & Plant Biology. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Kalanchoe blossfeldiana (Christmas Kalanchoe) for charming colors". John&Jacq~s Garden. Archived from the original on 15 December 2013. Retrieved 15 December 2013.
- "Kalanchoe blossfeldiana AGM". Plant Selector. Royal Horticultural Society. Archived from the original on 6 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
- "Kalancho/ Kalancho blossfeldiana / Christmas kalanchoe/ Flaming Katy". PHILLIPPINE MEDICINAL PLANTS. STUARTXCHANGE. Archived from the original on 12 December 2013. Retrieved 12 December 2013.
- "Plants & Flowers » Kalanchoe blossfeldiana". PlantsRescue. 16 August 2013. Archived from the original on 6 December 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Kalanchoe blossfeldiana.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Kalanchoe blossfeldiana|