Catalog Number: USNM 714057
Collection: Smithsonian Institution, National Museum of Natural History, Department of Invertebrate Zoology
Locality: Knysna River Mouth, Western Cape, South Africa, Indian Ocean
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Afrolittorina knysnaensis
Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Afrolittorina knysnaensis
Public Records: 2
Specimens with Barcodes: 16
Species With Barcodes: 1
|This article's lead section may not adequately summarize key points of its contents. (April 2013)|
The size of the shell varies between 9 mm and 15 mm. Its color varies from brown with a pattern of dots with a dark ring around its every whorl, to pure black. The smooth shell has a conical shape with a short spire. The aperture is subcircular and has a transparent, horny operculum.
- Afrolittorina knysnaensis (Philippi, 1847) . Reid, David G. (2010). Afrolittorina knysnaensis (Philippi, 1847). In: Bouchet, P.; Gofas, S.; Rosenberg, G. (2010) World Marine Mollusca database. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=446837 on 6 June 2010.
- Paul Bartsch (1915), Report on the Turton Collection of South African Marine Mollusks, with Additional Notes on other South African Shells Contained in the United States National Museum; Smithsonian Institution, United States National Museum, bulletin 91.
- Kilburn, R.N. & Rippey, E. (1982) Sea Shells of Southern Africa. Macmillan South Africa, Johannesburg, xi + 249 pp. page(s): 50
- Steyn, D.G. & Lussi, M. (1998) Marine Shells of South Africa. An Illustrated Collector’s Guide to Beached Shells. Ekogilde Publishers, Hartebeespoort, South Africa, ii + 264 pp. page(s): 32
- George M. Branch,C. l. Griffiths,M. L. Branch,L. E. Beckley, Two Oceans: A Guide to the Marine Life of Southern Africa
- Reid, D.G. & Williams, S.T. (2004) The subfamily Littorininae (Gastropoda: Littorinidae) in the temperate Southern Hemisphere: the genera Nodilittorina, Austrolittorina and Afrolittorina. Records of the Australian Museum 56: 75122
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!