Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Gibbula pennanti
No available public DNA sequences.
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Gibbula pennanti
Public Records: 1
Specimens with Barcodes: 1
Species With Barcodes: 1
The species was named in honor of Thomas Pennant (1726 – 1798) was a Welsh naturalist.
The size of the shell varies between 10 mm and 16 mm. The shell is more depressed than Gibbula cineraria, and (although the base is flatter) never inclined to a pyramidal form. The spiral ridges are sharper and fewer, especially in the young. The present species is usually more widely umbilicate and broader than Gibbula cineraria. The coloring is different; both have a similar kind of marking, but in the present species the longitudinal rays or streaks are red, besides being broader and not half so many as in the other species. And they are sometimes zigzag, instead of being broken into spots or interrupted by the sculpture. This species is striped, the other lineated. Just within the outer lip are two borders, one of yellow, the other of green variegated by red spots. This edging is minutely tubercled like shagreen. 
- Gofas, S. (2013). Gibbula pennanti (Philippi, 1846). Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=141792 on 2014-01-30
- Tryon (1889), Manual of Conchology XI, Academy of Natural Sciences, Philadelphia (described as Gibbula obliquata)
- Gmelin J. F., 1791: Carli Linnaei systema Naturae per regna tria naturae. Editio decimatertia, aucta, reformata, Vermes Testacea ; Leipzig [Lipsiae] 1 (6): 3021-3910
- Aradas A., 1847: Descrizione delle conchiglie fossili di Gravitelli presso Messina ; Atti dell'Accademia Gioenia di Scienze Naturali (2) 4: 57-88
- Monterosato T. A. (di), 1888-1889: Molluschi del Porto di Palermo. Specie e varietà; Bullettino della Società Malacologica Italiana, Pisa 13 (1888[1889?]): 161-180 14 (1889): 75-81
- Gofas, S.; Le Renard, J.; Bouchet, P. (2001). Mollusca, in: Costello, M.J. et al. (Ed.) (2001). European register of marine species: a check-list of the marine species in Europe and a bibliography of guides to their identification. Collection Patrimoines Naturels, 50: pp. 180-213
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!