Water temperature and chemistry ranges based on 1 sample.
Depth range (m): 46 - 46
Temperature range (°C): 26.891 - 26.891
Nitrate (umol/L): 1.305 - 1.305
Salinity (PPS): 34.439 - 34.439
Oxygen (ml/l): 3.858 - 3.858
Phosphate (umol/l): 0.533 - 0.533
Silicate (umol/l): 6.180 - 6.180
Note: this information has not been validated. Check this *note*. Your feedback is most welcome.
The size of an adult shell varies between 30 mm and 71 mm. The ground color of the shell is pale brown, with fine close lines of chestnut-brown, and one or two paler bands. The shoulder ( = the angulation of the shell whorls) is somewhat obtuse. The spire is concavely elevated, with an acute apex. The spire is uniform pale brown. Tryon describes the variety furvus with this special characteristics. The revolving lines are broken up into minute dots The form is somewhat narrower. Some of the spire whorls are finely beaded.
This is an Indo-Pacific species. The type locality is Port Sacloban, Leyte Island in the Philippines. The species occurs along the Andaman Islands, Malaysia, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea and from the Philippines to Japan. It is also found in the South China Sea.
- Reeve, L. A., 1843. Monograph of the genus Conus. Conchologia Iconica, i: figures and descriptions of the shells of molluscs; with remarks on their affinities, synonymy, and geographical distribution, 1. Conus
- WoRMS (2010). Conus furvus Reeve, 1843. Accessed through: World Register of Marine Species at http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=taxdetails&id=428130 on 2011-07-23
- George Washington Tryon, Manual of Conchology vol. VI, p. 51; 1879 (described as Conus lignarius)
- Conus lignarius - Some information on this species
- Filmer R.M. (2001). A Catalogue of Nomenclature and Taxonomy in the Living Conidae 1758 - 1998. Backhuys Publishers, Leiden. 388pp.
- Tucker J.K. (2009). Recent cone species database. September 4, 2009 Edition
- Tucker J.K. & Tenorio M.J. (2009) Systematic classification of Recent and fossil conoidean gastropods. Hackenheim: Conchbooks. 296 pp