- Thornhill, Robert, Krings, Alexander, Lindbo, David, Stucky, Jon (2014): Guide to the Vascular Flora of the Savannas and Flatwoods of Shaken Creek Preserve and Vicinity (Pender & Onslow Counties, North Carolina, U. S. A.). Biodiversity Data Journal 2, 1099: 1099-1099, URL:http://dx.doi.org/10.3897/BDJ.2.e1099
Regularity: Regularly occurring
National NatureServe Conservation Status
Rounded National Status Rank: N5 - Secure
Eupatorium rotundifolium, commonly called Roundleaf thoroughwort, is a herbaceous perennial plant in Asteraceae native to the eastern states of the United States in an area from New Jersey to Oklahoma south to Texas to Florida. The stems grow from 40 to over 100 cm tall and are produced from short rhizomes. The inflorescences are composed of a large number of white flower heads with disc florets and no ray florets. Plants can be highly variable due to hybridization, three varieties have been named also.
The plants known as Eupatorium rotundifolium var. saundersii have often been treated as a variety of E. rotundifolium. They can be distinguished based on morphology, and molecular evidence also suggests that these plants may be different enough from E. rotundifolium to recognize them as a species, Eupatorium pilosum.
Eupatorium rotundifolium contains sesquiterpene lactones of the guaianolide type including euparotin acetate and eupachlorin acetate, both of which inhibit tumor growth in vitro when isolated from the plant.
- "Eupatorium rotundifolium". NatureServe Explorer. NatureServe. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
- "Eupatorium rotundifolium Literature-based distribution". Tropicos.org. Missouri Botanical Garden. Retrieved 2013-06-28.
- "Eupatorium". Flora of North America.
- Kunsiri Chaw Siripun and Edward E. Schilling (2006). "Molecular confirmation of the hybrid origin of Eupatorium godfreyanum (Asteraceae)". American Journal of Botany 93 (2): 319–325. doi:10.3732/ajb.93.2.319. PMID 21646192.
- "18. Eupatorium pilosum Walter".
- Kupchan SM, Kelsey JE, Maruyama M, Cassady JM. (June 1968). "Eupachlorin acetate, a novel chloro-sesquiterpenoid lactone tumor inhibitor from Eupatorium rotundifolium". Tetrahedron Lett. 31 (31): 3517–3520. doi:10.1016/S0040-4039(01)99098-7. PMID 5649802.
- Kupchan SM, Hemingway JC, Cassady JM, Knox JR, McPhail AT, Sim GA. (18 January 1967). "The isolation and structural elucidation of euparotin acetate, a novel guaianolide tumor inhibitor from Eupatorium rotundifolium". J Am Chem Soc. 89 (2): 465–466. doi:10.1021/ja00978a061. PMID 6031638.
|This Eupatorieae article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!