The length of the body may reach 11 mm; it is coloured greenish white, with the showing green or brownish through the translucent skin, especially within the , which are arranged in a latero- pattern of up to eight transverse rows. Each is smooth and rounded at the tip. The is - , just behind the head. The are inrolled.
This species lives and feeds upon the algae Codium tomentosum andBryopsis plumosa . All records of P. dendritica have come from shallow water, with rare captures on the lower shore.
Distributed in NW Europe from Norway to the Mediterranean Sea ( ), New England to the Caribbean Sea; Japan; Australia; California."
Marine Species of the North Sea: http://www.species-identification.org/species.php?species_group=mollusca&selected=beschrijving&menuentry=soorten&id=905
- North-West Atlantic Ocean species (NWARMS)
Southern California (Greene, 1970)
Water temperature and chemistry ranges based on 1 sample.
Depth range (m): 8.5 - 31.2
Temperature range (°C): 24.091 - 24.091
Nitrate (umol/L): 0.154 - 0.154
Salinity (PPS): 35.464 - 35.464
Oxygen (ml/l): 4.932 - 4.932
Phosphate (umol/l): 0.115 - 0.115
Silicate (umol/l): 1.307 - 1.307
Depth range (m): 8.5 - 31.2
Note: this information has not been validated. Check this *note*. Your feedback is most welcome.
Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Placida dendritica
There are 2 barcode sequences available from BOLD and GenBank. Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species. See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Placida dendritica
Public Records: 2
Specimens with Barcodes: 2
Species With Barcodes: 1
Relevance to Humans and Ecosystems
Adams, A. A. and H. Adams. 1855. The Genera of the Recent Mollusca, arranged according to their organization Vol. 3 John van der Voort, London.
Guiry, M.D. & Guiry, G.M. 2010. AlgaeBase. World-wide electronic publication, National University of Ireland, Galway. http://www.algaebase.org; searched on 15 April 2010.
This species is found worldwide.
- WoRMS : Placida dendritica accessed : 13 October 2010]
- Powell A. W. B., New Zealand Mollusca, William Collins Publishers Ltd, Auckland, New Zealand 1979 ISBN 0-00-216906-1
- de Kluijver, M.J.; Ingalsuo, S.S.; de Bruyne, R.H. (2000). Macrobenthos of the North Sea [CD-ROM]: 1. Keys to Mollusca and Brachiopoda. World Biodiversity Database CD-ROM Series. Expert Center for Taxonomic Identification (ETI): Amsterdam, The Netherlands. ISBN 3-540-14706-3
- Bleakney, J.S. 1996. Sea slugs of Atlantic Canada and the Gulf of Maine. The Nova Scotia Museum Field Guide Series. Nimbus Publishing. Halifax. 216 p.
- Gofas, S.; Le Renard, J.; Bouchet, P. (2001). Mollusca, in: Costello, M.J. et al. (Ed.) (2001). European register of marine species: a check-list of the marine species in Europe and a bibliography of guides to their identification. Collection Patrimoines Naturels, 50: pp. 180-213
- Willan, R. (2009). Opisthobranchia (Mollusca). In: Gordon, D. (Ed.) (2009). New Zealand Inventory of Biodiversity. Volume One: Kingdom Animalia. 584 pp
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!