Data about <i>Oryx beisa beisa</i>
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
Glossary for Oryx beisa beisa
- associated media
- A list (concatenated and separated) of identifiers (publication, global unique identifier, URI) of media associated with the Occurrence.
- catalog number
- An identifier (preferably unique) for the record within the data set or collection.
- collection code
- The name, acronym, coden, or initialism identifying the collection or data set from which the record was derived.
- collection id
- An identifier for the collection or dataset from which the record was derived.
- The name of the continent in which the Location occurs.
- An entity responsible for making contributions to the resource.
- The name of the country or major administrative unit in which the Location occurs.
- The integer day of the month on which the Event occurred.
- end day of year
- The latest ordinal day of the year on which the Event occurred (1 for January 1, 365 for December 31, except in a leap year, in which case it is 366).
- A category or description of the habitat in which the Event occurred.
- higher geography
- A list (concatenated and separated) of geographic names less specific than the information captured in the locality term.
- individual count
- The number of individuals represented present at the time of the Occurrence.
- institution code
- The name (or acronym) in use by the institution having custody of the object(s) or information referred to in the record.
- The specific description of the place. Less specific geographic information can be provided in other geographic terms (higherGeography, continent, country, stateProvince, county, municipality, waterBody, island, islandGroup). This term may contain information modified from the original to correct perceived errors or standardize the description.
- measurement method
- A description of or reference to (publication, URI) the method or protocol used to determine the measurement, fact, characteristic, or assertion.
- measurement remarks
- Comments or notes accompanying the MeasurementOrFact.
- measurement value
- The value of the measurement, fact, characteristic, or assertion.
- The ordinal month in which the Event occurred.
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM)
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM), Washington, District of Columbia, USA. NMNH and USNM both refer to the National Museum of Natural History. Collections are associated with one or the other acronym. US, the US National Herbarium, is a collection within the National Museum of Natural History. URL for main institutional website: http://www.mnh.si.edu/rc/ URL for institutional specimen catalog: http://collections.mnh.si.edu/
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM) Division of Mammals
- National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM), Washington, District of Columbia, USA. Roughly 590,000 preserved specimens. Collection supports a wide range of scientific research by resident staff and associates, as well as numerous visiting scientists. Primarily dried specimens (e.g., skins, herbarium sheets). URL for collection: http://vertebrates.si.edu/mammals/
- A list (concatenated and separated) of preparations and preservation methods for a specimen.
- protected area
- An area of land and/or a body of water especially dedicated to the protection and maintenance of biological diversity, and of natural and associated cultural resources, and managed through legal or other effective means.
- rangeland biome
- A rangeland biome is an anthropogenic terrestrial biome which is primarily used for the rearing and grazing of livestock.
- recorded by
- A list (concatenated and separated) of names of people, groups, or organizations responsible for recording the original Occurrence. The primary collector or observer, especially one who applies a personal identifier (recordNumber), should be listed first.
- scientific name
- The full scientific name, with authorship and date information if known. When forming part of an Identification, this should be the name in lowest level taxonomic rank that can be determined. This term should not contain identification qualifications, which should instead be supplied in the IdentificationQualifier term.
- The sex of the biological individual(s) represented in the Occurrence. Recommended best practice is to use a controlled vocabulary.
- A related resource from which the described resource is derived.
- start day of year
- The earliest ordinal day of the year on which the Event occurred (1 for January 1, 365 for December 31, except in a leap year, in which case it is 366).
- terrestrial biome
- A biome that applies to the terrestrial realm.
- a) A specimen designated or indicated any kind of type of a species or infraspecific taxon. If possible more specific type terms (holotype, syntype, etc.) should be applied. b) the type name of a name of higher rank for taxa above the species rank. [General]
- type specimen repository
- The institution that holds a type specimen for a given species. The recommended best practice is to use the identifier in a collections registry such as the Biodiversity Collections Index (http://www.biodiversitycollectionsindex.org/).
- type status
- A list (concatenated and separated) of nomenclatural types (type status, typified scientific name, publication) applied to the subject.
- This statement may be true or false; the answer to this question is unknown.
- verbatim event date
- The verbatim original representation of the date and time information for an Event.
- The four-digit year in which the Event occurred, according to the Common Era Calendar.
|Environments - EOL project|
|Environments - EOL project|
|Environments - EOL project|
Database and Repository Coverage
type specimen repository
National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution (USNM) unknown
|National Museum of Natural History Collections|
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!