Data about Orcinus
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
|Grey Reef Shark||GloBI|
Water depth max
|2,450 m||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water nitrate concentration min
|0.042 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||30.38 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water temperature min
|-1.69 degrees Celsius||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||29.2 degrees Celsius||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water silicate concentration min
|0.54 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||83.02 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water phosphate concentration min
|0.053 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||2.13 µmol/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water dissolved O2 concentration min
|4.51 mL/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||8.97 mL/L||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water O2 saturation max
|110.17 percent||OBIS Environmental Information|
|min||85.08 percent||OBIS Environmental Information|
Water salinity min
|27.53 PSU||OBIS Environmental Information|
|max||36.84 PSU||OBIS Environmental Information|
Evolution and Systematics
||The Paleobiology Database|
Glossary for Orcinus
- Age at first birth
- Age at which females give birth to their first litter, or their young attach to teats or hatch out
- Body length (VT)
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the body of an organism.
- Body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- Clutch/brood/litter size
- Single birth offspring quantity. The proportion or number of offspring produced from a single pregnancy (mammals) or ovulation (fish) or nesting (birds).
- A plane angle unit which is equal to 1/360 of a full rotation or 1.7453310^[-2] rad.
- Degrees Celsius
- The original description of the elevation (altitude, usually above sea level) of the Location.
- This taxon is still in existence, as opposed to extinct.
- Extinction status
- Indicates whether a taxon is extant (living today) or extinct.
- Feeds on
- consumes for energetic or other nutritional needs
- First Appearance (Older Bound)
- The older bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- First Appearance (Younger Bound)
- The younger bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Gestation period duration
- The length of time between when a fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus and the birth of offspring.
- Inter-birth interval
- The length of time between successive births of a female.
- Interacts with
- an organism has an effect on another organism in the community.
- Last Appearance (Older Bound)
- The older bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- Last Appearance (Younger Bound)
- The younger bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- The geographic latitude (in decimal degrees, using the spatial reference system given in geodeticDatum) of the geographic center of a Location. Positive values are north of the Equator, negative values are south of it. Legal values lie between -90 and 90, inclusive.
- Litters per year
- Number of litters per female per year
- The geographic longitude (in decimal degrees, using the spatial reference system given in geodeticDatum) of the geographic center of a Location. Positive values are east of the Greenwich Meridian, negative values are west of it. Legal values lie between -180 and 180, inclusive.
- Meters. A length unit which is equal to the length of the path traveled by light in vacuum during a time interval of 1/299 792 458 of a second.
- Million years ago
- 1 megaannum in the past. Megaannum, Ma. is a unit of time equal to one million (10^6) years.
- Milliliters per liter. A volume per unit volume unit which is equal to one millionth of a liter of solute in one liter of solution.
- Onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- A dimensionless ratio unit which denotes numbers as fractions of 100.
- Practical Salinity Units. The conductivity ratio of a sea water sample to a standard KCl solution. Used to represent salinity.
- Social group size
- Number of individuals in a group that spends the majority of their time in a 24 hour cycle together where there is some indication that these individuals form a social cohesive unit.
- Total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- Water depth
- The depth of seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water dissolved O2 concentration
- Dissolved oxygen concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water nitrate concentration
- Dissolved nitrate concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water O2 saturation
- The percent oxygen saturation in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water phosphate concentration
- Dissolved phosphate concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water salinity
- Dissolved salt concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water silicate concentration
- Dissolved silicate concentration in seawater at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Water temperature
- Temperature of the water at a location where this organism has been observed or collected.
- Weaning age
- Age when primary nutritional dependency on the mother ends and independent foraging begins to make a major contribution to the offspring’s energy requirements.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
- A unit of molarity which is equal to one millionth of a molar or 10^[-6] mol/L
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
|Trait||Values||Record Count||Taxa Count|
|Weight||180.0 to 3,987.5 kg||2||1|
|Body mass||158.75 to 5,628.76 kg||2||1|
|Age at first birth||14.94 to 14.94 years||1||1|
|Onset of fertility||10.35 to 13.66 years||3||1|
|Water depth||2,450.0 to 2,450.0 m||1||1|
|Body length (VT)||2.37 to 8.65 m||2||1|
|Total life span||100.0 to 100.0 years||1||1|
|Inter-birth interval||3.0 to 5.0 years||2||1|
|Gestation period duration||1.25 to 1.25 years||1||1|
|Weaning age||1.14 to 1.29 years||2||1|
|Total life span||90.0 to 90.0 years||1||1|
|Water salinity||27.53 to 36.84 PSU||2||1|
|Elevation||20.4 to 594.2 m||5||1|
|Social group size||12.0 to 12.0||1||1|
|Elevation||10.0 to 10.0||4||1|
|Clutch/brood/litter size||1.0 to 1.0||2||1|
|Litters per year||0.48 to 0.48||1||1|
|Litters per year||0.2 to 0.2 per year||1||1|
|Water temperature||-1.69 to 29.2 degrees Celsius||2||1|
|Latitude||-77.3 to 73.63 degrees||2||1|
|Longitude||-174 to 179.33 degrees||2||1|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!