Molecular Biology and Genetics
Barcode data: Charaxes acuminatus
Below is a sequence of the barcode region Cytochrome oxidase subunit 1 (COI or COX1) from a member of the species.
See the BOLD taxonomy browser for more complete information about this specimen and other sequences.
-- end --
Download FASTA File
Statistics of barcoding coverage: Charaxes acuminatus
Public Records: 2
Specimens with Barcodes: 5
Species With Barcodes: 1
Charaxes acuminatus, the Pointed Pearl Charaxes or Mountain Pearl Charaxes, is a butterfly in the Nymphalidae family. It is found in Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Kenya, Tanzania, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Malawi, Zambia and Zimbabwe. The habitat consists of montane forests mostly at altitudes above 1,800 meters.
Both sexes are attracted to fermenting fruit and sometimes also sap oozing from wounds in the trunks and branches of trees and shrubs. Males are also attracted to damp patches. Adults are on wing from September to June.
- Charaxes varanes
- Charaxes fulvescens very similar to varanes
- Charaxes acuminatus very pointed forewing
- Charaxes balfouri
- Charaxes analava
- Charaxes nicati
- Charaxes bertrami perhaps subspecies of varanes
- Charaxes saperanus
- Charaxes defulvata
- Charaxes acuminatus acuminatus (Tanzania, northern Malawi)
- Charaxes acuminatus cottrelli van Someren, 1963 (north-western Zambia, Democratic Republic of Congo: from the south-east to Shaba)
- Charaxes acuminatus kigezia van Someren, 1963 (western Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo, north-western Tanzania)
- Charaxes acuminatus kulalae van Someren, 1975 (northern Kenya)
- Charaxes acuminatus mlanji van Someren, 1963 (southern Malawi)
- Charaxes acuminatus nyika van Someren, 1963 (Malawi: Nyika Plateau, north-eastern Zambia)
- Charaxes acuminatus oreas Talbot, 1932 (Kenya: central highlands east of the Rift Valley)
- Charaxes acuminatus rondonis Kielland, 1987 (south-eastern Tanzania)
- Charaxes acuminatus shimbanus van Someren, 1963 (south-eastern coast of Kenya)
- Charaxes acuminatus stonehamiana Collins & Larsen, 1991 (western Kenya)
- Charaxes acuminatus teitensis van Someren, 1963 (south-eastern Kenya, Tanzania: north to Mount Kilimanjaro and Mount Meru)
- Charaxes acuminatus thiryi Bouyer & Vingerhoedt, 2001 (Democratic Republic of Congo)
- Charaxes acuminatus usambarensis van Someren, 1963 (north-eastern Tanzania)
- Charaxes acuminatus vumba van Someren, 1963 (eastern Zimbabwe)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Charaxes acuminatus.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Charaxes acuminatus|
- Thurau, F 1903 Neue Rhopaloceren aus Ost Afrika. Ergebnisse der Nyassa-See-un Kenya-Gebirgs-Expedition der Hermann und Elise geb. Heckmann-Wentzel-Stiftung Berl. ent. Z. 48 : 117-143 .
- Afrotropical Butterflies: File H - Charaxinae - Tribe Charaxini
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!