Data about Macrotus
About Data on EOL
TraitBank gathers data and metadata from multiple sources into a single, fully-referenced and semantically accessible taxon-centric view.
Contact us for more information on sharing data sets with EOL or to recommend a data set for inclusion into TraitBank.
Funding for the development of EOL computable data functionality provided by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, and from EOL users around the world. Contact the EOL Secretariat for more information on TraitBank.
Evolution and Systematics
||The Paleobiology Database|
Glossary for Macrotus
- age at first birth
- Age at which females give birth to their first litter, or their young attach to teats or hatch out
- An arid condition is an environmental condition in which annual precipitation is less than half of annual potential evapotranspiration.
- body length (VT)
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the body of an organism.
- body mass
- The amount of matter in the body of an organism.
- Naturally formed, subterranean open area or chamber.
- clutch/brood/litter size
- Single birth offspring quantity. The proportion or number of offspring produced from a single pregnancy (mammals) or ovulation (fish) or nesting (birds).
- A region rendered barren or partially barren by environmental extremes, especially by low rainfall.
- This taxon is still in existence, as opposed to extinct.
- extinction status
- Indicates whether a taxon is extant (living today) or extinct.
- first appearance (older bound)
- The older bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- first appearance (younger bound)
- The younger bound for the first appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- forelimb length
- The distance from point to point along the longest axis of the anterior/superior jointed appendages used for locomotion or grasping.
- gestation period duration
- The length of time between when a fertilized egg implants in the wall of the uterus and the birth of offspring.
- A category or description of the habitat in which the Event occurred.
- Area of dry or relatively dry land surrounded by water or low wetland.
- last appearance (older bound)
- The older bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- last appearance (younger bound)
- The younger bound for the last appearance of this taxon in the fossil record, in Ma.
- million years ago
- 1 megaannum in the past. Megaannum, Ma. is a unit of time equal to one million (10^6) years.
- nest of bird
- A bird nest is the spot in which a bird lays and incubates its eggs and raises its young.
- onset of fertility
- The age at which an organism develops the ability to produce live offspring.
- river bank
- The sloping margin of a river, serving to confine it to its natural channel.
- A mass of the mineral material of the crust of the Earth.
- terrestrial biome
- A biome that applies to the terrestrial realm.
- total life span
- The full period of time from birth to death of an organism.
- An underground or underwater passage.
- weaning age
- Age when primary nutritional dependency on the mother ends and independent foraging begins to make a major contribution to the offspring’s energy requirements.
- A physical quality inhering in a bearer that has mass near a gravitational body.
For some attributes EOL determines the span of values available for a taxon across all sources.
|Trait||Values||Record Count||Taxa Count|
|age at first birth||1.0 to 1.0 years||1||1|
|gestation period duration||250.29 to 250.29 days||1||1|
|total life span||10.4 to 10.42 years||2||2|
|onset of fertility||120.0 to 216.03 days||2||1|
|forelimb length||5.06 to 5.16 cm||2||2|
|weaning age||35.51 to 35.51 days||1||1|
|body length (VT)||2.23 to 5.84 cm||3||2|
|total life span||10.4 to 17.0 years||2||2|
|clutch/brood/litter size||0.98 to 1.0||4||2|
|body mass||0.59 to 16.27 g||5||2|
|weight||0.59 to 16.0 g||4||2|
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!