The following bibliography has been generated by bringing together all references provided by our content partners. There may be duplication.
- Banks, R. C., R. W. McDiarmid, A. L. Gardner, and W. C. Starnes. 2003. Checklist of Vertebrates of the United States, the U.S. Territories, and Canada
- Banks, R. C., R. W. McDiarmid, and A. L. Gardner. 1987. Checklist of Vertebrates of the United States, the U.S. Territories, and Canada. Resource Publication, no. 166. 79
- C. Linnaeus. 1758. Systema Naturae per Regna Tria Naturae, secundum Classes, Ordines, Genera, Species, cum Characteribus, Differentiis, Synonymis, Locis. Tomus I. Laurentii Salvii, Holmiae (Stockholm)
- Hiendleder, S., B. Kaupe, R. Wassmuth, and A. Janke. 2002 Molecular analysis of wild and domestic sheep questions current nomenclature and provides evidence for domestication from two different subspecies. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 269:893-904.
- Hiendleder, S., K. Mainz, Y. Plante, and H. Lewalski. 1998. Analysis of mitochondrial DNA indicates that domestic sheep are derived from two different ancestral maternal sources: no evidence for contributions from urial and argali sheep. Journal of Heredity 89:113-120.
- L. D. Harris and L. Paur, A quantitative food web analysis of a shortgrass community, Technical Report No. 154, Grassland Biome. U.S. International Biological Program (1972), from p. 17.
- Pedrosa, S., M. Uzun, J.-J. Arranz, B. Gutiérrez-Gil, F. San Primitivo, and Y. Bayón. 2005. Evidence of three maternal lineages in near eastern sheep supporting multiple domestication events. Proceedings of the Royal Society Series B 272:2211-2217.
- Wilson, Don E., and DeeAnn M. Reeder, eds. 1993. Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference, 2nd ed., 3rd printing. xviii + 1207
- Wilson, Don E., and DeeAnn M. Reeder, eds. 2005. Mammal Species of the World: A Taxonomic and Geographic Reference, 3rd ed., vols. 1 & 2. 2142
- Wilson, Don E., and Sue Ruff, eds. 1999. The Smithsonian Book of North American Mammals. xxv + 750
- Wu, C.H., Y.P. Zhang, T.D. Bunch, S. Wang, and W. Wang. 2003 Mitochondrial control region sequence variation within argali wild sheep (Ovis ammon): evolution and conservation relevance. Mammalia 67:109-118.