Flower-Visiting Insects of Silphium in Illinois
(insect activity is unspecified; information is limited to bees; observations are from Smith et al.)
Anthophoridae (Eucerini): Melissodes communis communis (Smh), Svastra obliqua (Smh)
Members of the genus, commonly known as rosinweeds, are herbaceous perennial plants growing to 0.5–4 m tall, with yellow (rarely white) flowerheads. The name of the genus comes from the Ancient Greek word for a North African plant whose identity has been lost, though it is known its gum or juice was prized by the ancients as a medicine and a condiment.
- Silphium albiflorum A.Gray – white rosinweed - TX
- Silphium asteriscus L. – starry rosinweed - TX OK LA AR MO IL IN KY TN AL MS GA FL SC NC VA WV OH MD PA NY
- Silphium brachiatum Gatt. – Cumberland rosinweed - TN AL GA
- Silphium compositum Michx. – kidneyleaf rosinweed - TN AL GA FL SC NC VA WV
- Silphium integrifolium Michx. – wholeleaf rosinweed - NM TX LA OK AR MO KS CO WY SD NE IA IL IN KY TN MS AL WI MI MA ONT
- Silphium laciniatum L. – compassplant - NM TX LA OK AR MO KS CO SD NE MN IA IL IN KY TN MS AL WI MI VA PA NY ONT
- Silphium laeve Hook. - WA ID
- Silphium mohrii Small – Mohr's rosinweed - TN AL GA
- Silphium perfoliatum L. – cup plant - NM TX LA OK AR MO KS CO SD ND NE MN IA IL INKY TN MS AL WI MI NC VA DE PA NY NJ CT RI MA VT NH ME ONT QUE NB
- Silphium perplexum J.R.Allison – Old Cahaba rosinweed - AL
- Silphium pinnatifidum Elliott – Cutleaf prairie dock - AL GA KY TN
- Silphium radula Nutt. – roughstem rosinweed - KS MO AR OK TX LA
- Silphium terebinthinaceum Jacq. – prairie rosinweed, prairie dock - IA MO AR MS AL GA SC NC VA WV TN KY OH IN IL WI MI NY ONT
- Silphium ternatum Sessé & Moc. - Mexico
- Silphium trifoliatum L. – whorled rosinweed - AL GA IN KY MD NC SC OH PA VA WV
- Silphium wasiotense M.Medley – Appalachian rosinweed - KY TN
- Formerly included
- Genus Calycadenia - the western rosinweeds
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silphium.|
|Wikispecies has information related to: Silphium|
- Flann, C (ed) 2009+ Global Compositae Checklist
- Linnaeus, Carl von. 1753. Species Plantarum 2: 919-920 in Latin
- Tropicos, Silphium L.
- "Silphium". Flora of North America.
- Clevinger, Jennifer A. "269. Silphium Linnaeus". Flora of North America (New York & Oxford: Oxford University Press) 21: Page 65, 77, 157. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- International Organization for Plant Information (IOPI). "Plant Name Search". International Plant Names Index. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- "Silphium". Natural Resources Conservation Service PLANTS Database. USDA. Retrieved 2008-06-24.
- Germplasm Resources Information Network (GRIN). "GRIN Species Records of Silphium". Taxonomy for Plants. USDA, ARS, National Genetic Resources Program, National Germplasm Resources Laboratory, Beltsville, Maryland. Retrieved 2011-02-16.
- Biota of North America Program 2013 county distribution maps
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!