Geospiza is a genus of bird in the Thraupidae family. All species in the genus are endemic to the Galápagos Islands; together with related genera, they are collectively known as Darwin's finches. Although in the past, they were classified in the bunting and American sparrow family Emberizidae, more recent studies have shown they belong in the tanager family. The genus contains the following species:
- Large cactus finch (Geospiza conirostris)
- Sharp-beaked ground finch (Geospiza difficilis)
- Vampire finch (Geospiza difficilis septentrionalis)
- Medium ground finch (Geospiza fortis)
- Small ground finch (Geospiza fuliginosa)
- Large ground finch (Geospiza magnirostris)
- Common cactus finch (Geospiza scandens)
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!