Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
|Specimen Records:||65||Public Records:||19|
|Specimens with Sequences:||45||Public Species:||8|
|Specimens with Barcodes:||42||Public BINs:||9|
|Species With Barcodes:||9|
Cyanocorax is a genus of New World jays, passerine birds in the crow family, Corvidae. The generic name is derived from the Greek words κυανος (kuanos), meaning "dark blue," and κοραξ (korax), meaning "raven".
It contains several closely related species that primarily are found in wooded habitats of Mexico and Central and South America, with the green jay just barely entering the United States. Coincidentally, it is also the only species in this genus where the upperparts are not primarily blue or purplish.
- Bushy-crested jay, Cyanocorax melanocyaneus
- San Blas jay, Cyanocorax sanblasianus
- Yucatan jay, Cyanocorax yucatanicus
- Purplish-backed jay, Cyanocorax beecheii
- Violaceous jay, Cyanocorax violaceus
- Azure jay, Cyanocorax caeruleus
- Purplish jay, Cyanocorax cyanomelas
- Curl-crested jay, Cyanocorax cristatellus
- Tufted jay, Cyanocorax dickeyi
- Black-chested jay, Cyanocorax affinis
- White-tailed jay, Cyanocorax mystacalis
- Cayenne jay, Cyanocorax cayanus
- Azure-naped jay, Cyanocorax heilprini
- Plush-crested jay, Cyanocorax chrysops
- White-naped jay, Cyanocorax cyanopogon
- Green jay, Cyanocorax yncas
- Campina jay, Cyanocorax hafferi
- Holloway, Joel Ellis (2003). Dictionary of Birds of the United States: Scientific and Common Names. Timber Press. p. 79. ISBN 978-0-88192-600-2.
- Cohn-Haft, Mario; Marcelo A. Santos Junior; Alexandre M. Fernandes; Camila C. Ribas (July 2013). Josep del Hoyo, Andrew Elliott, Jordi Sargatal, David A. Christie, ed. A new species of Cyanocorax jay from savannas of the central Amazon. Handbook of the Birds of the World. New Species. Lynx edicions. ISBN 978-84-96553-88-0.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!