Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:18
Specimens with Barcodes:17
Species With Barcodes:6
The silky pocket mice are small animals with soft pelage, long tails, and small feet compared to other heteromyids. They have long claws which are used for digging burrows and sifting sandy substrates for seeds. They have also been found to steal seeds from kangaroo rats' dens. They store these seeds in large hairy external cheek pouches. They are nocturnal and are found in arid habitats. They are not true hibernators, but will go into torpor and stay in their burrows for extended periods of time.
- Perognathus alticola – White-eared pocket mouse
- Perognathus amplus – Arizona pocket mouse
- Perognathus fasciatus – Olive-backed pocket mouse
- Perognathus flavescens – Plains pocket mouse
- Perognathus flavus – Silky pocket mouse
- Perognathus inornatus – San Joaquin pocket mouse
- Perognathus longimembris – Little pocket mouse
- Perognathus merriami – Merriam's pocket mouse
- Perognathus parvus – Great Basin pocket mouse
- Duff, A. and A. Lawson. 2004. Mammals of the World A Checklist. New Haven, Yale University Press.
- Nowak, Ronald M. 1999. Walker's Mammals of the World, 6th edition. Johns Hopkins University Press, 1936 pp. ISBN 0-8018-5789-9
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!