Molecular Biology and Genetics
Statistics of barcoding coverage
Specimens with Sequences:577
Specimens with Barcodes:571
Species With Barcodes:10
Dolichovespula is a small genus of social wasps distributed widely throughout the Northern Hemisphere. The yellow and black members of the genus are known by the common name yellowjackets in North America, such as Dolichovespula norwegica, along with members of their sister genus Vespula. In a study on the nesting biology of Dolichovespula, D. maculata was found to have the largest population count at 771.
A set of morphological differences distinguishes them from Vespula. The most noticeable is the long face (dolikhos = "long" in Greek). Viewed from the front, Dolichovespula faces are long, while Vespula faces are short and round. The oculo-malar space, the distance between the eye and the mandible, is long in Dolichovespula and short in Vespula.
Dolichovespula are not really a Yellowjacket, but pretty darn close, this wasp lives in wooded regions. The nests are constructed of a paper-like martial formed from chewed wood. This species constructs almost exclusively gray football-shaped aerial-nests attached to trees and buildings (but they may exceed a basketball in diameter or even the nest may grow to be larger by the end of the summer).
- Dolichovespula adulterina (Buysson, 1905) – parasitic yellowjacket
- Dolichovespula alpicola Eck 1984 – Rocky Mountain aerial yellowjacket
- Dolichovespula arenaria (Fabricius, 1775) – aerial yellowjacket
- Dolichovespula asiatica Archer, 1981
- Dolichovespula baileyi Archer, 1987
- Dolichovespula carolina (Linnaeus, 1767)
- Dolichovespula flora Archer, 1987
- Dolichovespula kuami Kim, 1996
- Dolichovespula lama (Buysson, 1903)
- Dolichovespula maculata (Linnaeus, 1763) – bald-faced hornet
- Dolichovespula media (Retz., 1783) – median wasp
- Dolichovespula norvegicoides (Sladen, 1918) – Arctic yellowjacket
- Dolichovespula norwegica (Fabricius 1781) – Norwegian wasp
- Dolichovespula omissa (Bischoff, 1931)
- Dolichovespula pacifica (Birula, 1930)
- Dolichovespula panda Archer, 1980
- Dolichovespula saxonica (Fabricius, 1793) – Saxon wasp
- Dolichovespula stigma Lee 1986
- Dolichovespula sylvestris (Scopoli, 1763) – tree wasp
- Dolichovespula xanthicincta Archer, 1980
- Archer, Michael E. (September 2006). Taxonomy, distribution and nesting biology of species of the genus Dolichovespula. Entomological Science 9(3):281–293.
EOL content is automatically assembled from many different content providers. As a result, from time to time you may find pages on EOL that are confusing.
To request an improvement, please leave a comment on the page. Thank you!