Comprehensive DescriptionRead full entry
"Phye scotiæ, n. sp.
By the elongation of the Carina of the carapace to a smooth-pointed process reaching beyond the eyes, this species is distinguished from the other members of the genus. The point of the process is upturned, while in the somewhat similar process of Pasiphæ amplidens, Bate, the point curves downward and does not reach beyond the eyes. From BATE'S specimen part of the peræon and all the pleon were unfortunately missing. In having the fourth joint of the first peræopod smooth and that of the second serrate it agrees with our species, but apart from this there are several differences. The mandibular cutting edge here shows nine to ten teeth, compared with thirteen in P. amplidens. The first maxilla of the latter is said to agree closely with that of P. cristatus, Bate, which according to the figure has the middle lobe fringed with seven spines and two spinules, against the eighteen spines of the Scotia species. Moreover, here the fingers of the second peropods are fully as long as the palm, and the fourth joint has only seven teeth along the margin, while BATE'S figure shows fifteen teeth along that margin and fingers much shorter than the palm.
The telson is about five times as long as its greatest breadth, narrowing towards the apex and widening a little at the fork, which is occupied by eight pairs of graduated spines. In the first antenna the acicle does not reach the end of the first joint, which is as long as the second and third combined, the second being considerably shorter than the third; of the two flagella, one for a space is much broader than the other. The scale of the second antenna is much narrowed at the flattened apex, beyond which the terminal tooth is well produced. The first and second maxillipeds, as noticed by BATE, are as firmly attached as if they together formed a single appendage.
Localities.—Lat. 71° 22' S., long. 16° 34' W., depth 1410 fathoms; Station 417, March 18, 1904. A second smaller specimen, with anterior process broken off, was obtained at lat. 68° 32' S., long. 12° 49' W., by the vertical net from surface to 600 fathoms; Station 422, March 23, 1904."