- Branch, G.M. et al. (2002). Two Oceans. 5th impression. David Philip, Cate Town & Johannesburg. http://www.marinespecies.org/aphia.php?p=sourcedetails&id=6561
Description[edit source | edit]
60mm, The shell is dull brown with fine ridges along the spirals and a papery outer layer that peels off when dead, but in life is usually encrusted by the commensal bryozoan Alcyonidium nodosum which gives a slightly nodular velvety appearance in purplish to orangy browns Easily confused in the field with B. pubescens, which does not reach the same maximum size.
Distribution[edit source | edit]
Namibia to Hermanus, subtidally to 37m, Endemic.
References[edit source | edit]
- Burnupena papyracea . Retrieved through: World Register of Marine Species on 14 July 2012.
- Branch, G.M., Branch, M.L, Griffiths, C.L. and Beckley, L.E. (2010). Two Oceans: a guide to the marine life of southern Africa Struik Nature, Cape Town. ISBN 978 1 77007 772 0
- Jones, Georgina. A field guide to the marine animals of the Cape Peninsula. SURG, Cape Town, 2008. ISBN978-0-620-41639-9
- Steyn, D.G. & Lussi, M. (1998) Marine Shells of South Africa. An Illustrated Collector’s Guide to Beached Shells. Ekogilde Publishers, Hartebeespoort, South Africa, ii + 264 pp. page(s): 110
- Branch, G.M. et al. (2002). Two Oceans. 5th impression. David Philip, Cate Town & Johannesburg
- Kilburn R.N., Marais J.P. & Fraussen K. (2010) Buccinidae. Pp. 16-52, in: Marais A.P. & Seccombe A.D. (eds), Identification guide to the seashells of South Africa. Volume 1. Groenkloof: Centre for Molluscan Studies. 376 pp.